Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Teenagers with flu
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 7:13 am
amother [ Butterscotch ] wrote:
How are those who took this years flu shots faring?

My friend said he family a few were vaccinated. She said they all had it same.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 7:51 am
amother [ Lotus ] wrote:
DH took the flu shot. B"H hasn't had flu.

It seems to be affecting the kids much more. Much less rhe adults anyway. How are the kids doing who took the shot? They are the ones being targeted now although I dont know why.

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 7:55 am
How are those who took this years flu shots faring?

The flu shot doesn't help in my (and many others) experience. We religiously take the flu shot every year, and get the flu anyways. The one year we didn't get the flu shot, my kids did not get the flu.. I don't know why we still take it.

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 7:55 am
It seems to be affecting the kids much more. Much less rhe adults anyway. How are the kids doing who took the shot? They are the ones being targeted now although I dont know why.

The vaccinated families I know had kids who mostly had no symptoms and a few with fever for less than one day or just tired with no fever.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:07 am
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
The flu shot doesn't help in my (and many others) experience. We religiously take the flu shot every year, and get the flu anyways. The one year we didn't get the flu shot, my kids did not get the flu.. I don't know why we still take it.

We never take the flu shot . The only one that does take it is the one under 5 that needs for school.
Hopefully this was his last time getting it because he will be 5 already by next winter iyh

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:14 am
I have what is either bronchitis with the flu or a very bad cough with fever, Im not sure. But it has not been fun.
I never get the flu shot as I have not had the flu in probably over 25 years. Im not sure what this is, but I tend to think its more so bronchitis with fever.
One of my children had the same a few days ago, so its going around.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:24 am
amother [ Daffodil ] wrote:
My friend said he family a few were vaccinated. She said they all had it same.

In my MO community everyone vaccinated against flu, the schools require it. I haven’t heard of any flu going around.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:26 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
He dorms and didn't bring home his shabbos clothes. Didn't dream it's flu . Like I said he has a cold but was acting perfectly fine bh. So by Friday he will need to go back for shabbos.

This might explain why flu is so prevalent in yeshivas if people aren’t staying home when they are sick.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:28 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
In my MO community everyone vaccinated against flu, the schools require it. I haven’t heard of any flu going around.

My children's school also has mandated flu vaccine for preschool and it's rampant this year! But I'm not MO, so does the flu target the yeshivish? Mad

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:29 am
This might explain why flu is so prevalent in yeshivas if people aren’t staying home when they are sick.

Yes, anyone sick should be staying home! There is an achrayis to the other students!!

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:29 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
My children's school also has mandated flu vaccine for preschool and it's rampant this year! But I'm not MO, so does the flu target the yeshivish? Mad

Just preschool or the older kids too? All our schools require it plus my and dhs work.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:30 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Just so you know, the flu shot is not meant to prevent the flu. It’s meant to minimize the symptoms.

It’s both actually.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:33 am
Just preschool or the older kids too? All our schools require it plus my and dhs work.

I believe the law is up until age 5. Most people I know vaccinate against the flu as well, however, I'm not sure the vaccine is a good match this year to influenza A.

I have had years that I didn't vaccinate and didn't get the flu. And some that I did vaccinate and I had a raging case of the flu. Go figure!

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:34 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:

Don't you know by now that the flu or covid only effect yeshivish and chassidish communities??? Wink Wink
Schools in NY require the flu shot and it's rampant despite that. Kids that get the flu shot, get the flu. It doesn't really help. If there's no flu in certain communities, perhaps the flu didn't reach their communities yet.

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:36 am

All Schools require in pre schools, many require the entire school. But most people give the flu shot to all kids. It doesn't help much because every year there's a different strain of the flu and the flu shot doesn't always target that certain strain.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:45 am
salt wrote:
Try relaxing, and davening, and just be as careful as possible.
Do you have a special reason to be so petrified?

well, corona really triggered my anxiety, working on it but it's a process...

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 9:26 am
amother [ Melon ] wrote:

You might be getting a milder case of flu when you do get it.

A few years ago, I moved, and was busy, neglected getting the flu shot. A week after our move, my whole family got the flu. Bad. It was awful.

After that DH and I got the flu shot, but my kids gave me a hard time. Two months later my kids got the flu a 2nd time. At that time, I felt funny, but didn't get the flu. I felt like maybe I sort of got it but was fighting it....hard to explain. Was under the weather, but not sick.

So - you can get flu twice in a season (the first might've been A, and the second B. It was different. First one they were sick but no stomache issues. Second time DD was throwing up non-stop, it was nuts.) And you can get it milder with the flu shot, or be fighting it off.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 10:59 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
I believe the law is up until age 5. Most people I know vaccinate against the flu as well, however, I'm not sure the vaccine is a good match this year to influenza A.

I have had years that I didn't vaccinate and didn't get the flu. And some that I did vaccinate and I had a raging case of the flu. Go figure!

That could be, but my point was in my community the vast majority have all the kids and all the adults vaccinated against the flu and it seems that it helps. We aren’t having the same outbreaks the rest of you are reporting.

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 11:01 am
That could be, but my point was in my community the vast majority have all the kids and all the adults vaccinated against the flu and it seems that it helps. We aren’t having the same outbreaks the rest of you are reporting.

My mother teacher is a large MO school where the covid vaccine is mandatory over age 12. They closed down the entire middle school last week because more then half the students and teachers were out with either covid or the flu.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 11:42 am
amother [ Daffodil ] wrote:
My mother teacher is a large MO school where the covid vaccine is mandatory over age 12. They closed down the entire middle school last week because more then half the students and teachers were out with either covid or the flu.

We’re talking about the flu I thought? Covid cases have started to pick up lately it’s true.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children