Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
No drinking rule
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:12 pm
Those against it have you ever been in a class where every kid can have a water bottle on their desk? I have. And I’ve never seen it be an issue. I wonder if you all hyped this up in your heads.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:14 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
I was referring to high school.
I agree that elementary age kids need a little elbow room. But I still think they shouldn't be able to drink during the entire time. Maybe during quiet work or something like that.
Teenagers can drink between periods, and they can leave then too. Even if the break is about two minutes. They can ask their teacher before she comes in to class. Let your teens problem solve.
I didn't graduate from school too long ago.
I remember the difference in the classes between the teacher that let us leave/drink vs. the ones that didn't. It was party time when those teachers walked in. Out came the lattes, ice capps and what not. It didn't stop at the drinks. I did it too.
"How is drinking water a distraction? If water is more exciting than the teachers lesson maybe it's time to come up with better lessons." - In my four years of high school, the teachers with the best lessons were the one's with this rule. The teacher can get distracted if girls play with their water bottles, students can't focus 100% on their water bottle and the lesson at the same time.
"Drinking is a good thing for kids to do. We don’t need to make them suffer unnecessarily just because they aren’t dying of thirst. Your mindset is triggering"- And focusing on the lesson. Is that not a good thing??

If a teacher is distracted by water bottles she doesn’t belong in a classroom period. She should get an office job. Kids can’t drink because some teachers don’t belong teaching? That’s backwards.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:17 pm
If you really did have a student who was obnoxious with their water bottle, you would address it with them, same as if they were verbally disruptive. (It's just too bad that you can't ban voices from the classroom, isn't it? Let's ban water, because that's more convenient!)

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:20 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
Try talking for 40+ minutes. And singing. And being all chirpy with those cutesy sound effects...

First of all, kids should be involved too and not just sitting and listening. They should be singing, involved in choral reading, participating in discussions, etc etc.

Also, you do realize that the purpose of hydration is not just to keep your throat clear, right? That proper hydration makes you feel better all around? I know I see a huge difference in my energy levels on days when I drink well. Insufficient hydration causes lethargy, headaches, tiredness, inability to concentrate etc etc

Definitely seems to me like the benefits outweigh the risk

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:25 pm
Quote:
Oh come on. If every teacher allowed a water bottle, it would not be a 'party,' it would just be normal.
Quote:
Those against it have you ever been in a class where every kid can have a water bottle on their desk? have. And ’ve never seen it be an issue. wonder if you all hyped this up in your heads

That's if the water bottles are uniform. I think the school should give water bottles or have a water cooler available for the students.
Anyone remember those water bottles that when the cap was turned the flavoring would be released?? I was a 4th grader (?) when we got each row in the class to get a different color and open it domino effect style! Party or what??

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:27 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
If you really did have a student who was obnoxious with their water bottle, you would address it with them, same as if they were verbally disruptive. (It's just too bad that you can't ban voices from the classroom, isn't it? Let's ban water, because that's more convenient!)

I'm not for banning water. I'm for banning water while the teacher is teaching.
Students can drink while they're doing quiet work.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:31 pm
I teach elementary and I'm baffled here. Never ever found water bottles to be a distraction even a tiny bit. What am I missing? They just lift it, sip, put it down. Done.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:41 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
Quote:
Oh come on. If every teacher allowed a water bottle, it would not be a 'party,' it would just be normal.
Quote:
Those against it have you ever been in a class where every kid can have a water bottle on their desk? have. And ’ve never seen it be an issue. wonder if you all hyped this up in your heads

That's if the water bottles are uniform. I think the school should give water bottles or have a water cooler available for the students.
Anyone remember those water bottles that when the cap was turned the flavoring would be released?? I was a 4th grader (?) when we got each row in the class to get a different color and open it domino effect style! Party or what??

I seriously have no idea what you are on about. In all my kids classes they only allow water bottles during class. Everyone has whatever water bottle they want and it’s a non issue. Teachers are fine with it and it works well. Multiple ages, multiple years. I can’t wrap my head around what you are saying. Parties? What?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:46 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
I'm not for banning water. I'm for banning water while the teacher is teaching.
Students can drink while they're doing quiet work.

I feel very sorry for your students.

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:47 pm
amother Navy wrote:
I seriously have no idea what you are on about. In all my kids classes they only allow water bottles during class. Everyone has whatever water bottle they want and it’s a non issue. Teachers are fine with it and it works well. Multiple ages, multiple years. I can’t wrap my head around what you are saying. Parties? What?

In my years of school no drinks were allowed by most teachers.
The teachers that allowed it, their classes ended up with everyone busy drinking. Probably because "Finally! They're letting us drink!!"
In high school, everyone would bring thermos, iced coffees, etc etc. and then it morphed into sandwiches.
I went to a Bais Yaakov school in tri state area.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:51 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
The teachers that allowed it, their classes ended up with everyone busy drinking. Probably because "Finally! They're letting us drink!!"
In high school, everyone would bring thermos, iced coffees, etc etc. and then it morphed into sandwiches.

Maybe if they didn’t withhold drinks it wouldn’t be a party. And you can allow water bottles and nothing else, the same way you can allow nothing. I went to BY in Brooklyn and we had water bottles in high school it was a non issue. My kids in Lakewood all have water bottles in elementary school and it works well, there are no issues.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:52 pm
Wow!!
I went thru all my years of schooling along with around 200 girls in my grade without being allowed to drink in class. We came up with many reasons to complain but this was never one of them.
Classes are 45-50 min. If you drink a cup of water every 45 min you will not be thirsty or dehydrate.
I definitely think it's distracting to have girls drinking and it teaches girls responsibility too take care of their needs before class. Obviously it's enforced differently in first and eighth grade but the concept applies to all girls in school.
Sorry this is sounding really 'snowflakey' to me and I'm young!

keym

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:54 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:

The school could have enforced a "water bottle only" rule. Make it very boring. Plain pop top water bottle with plain water, no flavorings or colorings to drink if you're thirsty.
The school chose to close their eyes when students took advantage with thermoses and iced coffee.

Same thing for going to the bathroom.

My boys high schools allow water bottles, bathroom, even taking a break and stretching. My daughter's does not. My boys schools are not more party-time or hefker because of it.

Why do we insist on treating our girls in a way that deprives them of basic human rights and then act surprised when they are resentful and pushing all the boundaries.
Let's treat them the way we expect to be treated.

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:59 pm
amother OP wrote:

BH I had a great year!! Happy students, happy mothers, happy teacher!!
This rule is a school policy.

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 3:03 pm
keym wrote:
The school could have enforced a "water bottle only" rule. Make it very boring. Plain pop top water bottle with plain water, no flavorings or colorings to drink if you're thirsty.
The school chose to close their eyes when students took advantage with thermoses and iced coffee.

Same thing for going to the bathroom.

My boys high schools allow water bottles, bathroom, even taking a break and stretching. My daughter's does not. My boys schools are not more party-time or hefker because of it.

Why do we insist on treating our girls in a way that deprives them of basic human rights and then act surprised when they are resentful and pushing all the boundaries.
Let's treat them the way we expect to be treated.

I hear you. But I wonder what the balance should be. What's with teaching them self control, problem solving, time management...

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 3:05 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
I hear you. But I wonder what the balance should be. What's with teaching them self control, problem solving, time management...

You can teach all that and allow water. It’s not a contradiction

Rubies

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 3:05 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:

All of those things can be taught without touching upon biological functions.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 3:11 pm
amother OP wrote:

Why? She's not saying no water during class. She's saying water only during work time. It's very reasonable. Healthy kids don't need to drink non stop during class. It's ok to make timing during class when it's ok to drink. It teaches kids responsibility and self control.

keym

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 3:17 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:

Are there enough restrooms for 450 (or however amount there is) to all use the bathroom in the 8 minute recess?
How long are the breaks between periods?
Do teachers go overtime?
What else besides drinking are girls expected to do during break?

These questions are all relevant before we start talking about time management.
Meaning if the school is not 100% equipped then what do we expect of the girls?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 3:21 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
I was referring to high school.
I agree that elementary age kids need a little elbow room. But I still think they shouldn't be able to drink during the entire time. Maybe during quiet work or something like that.
Teenagers can drink between periods, and they can leave then too. Even if the break is about two minutes. They can ask their teacher before she comes in to class. Let your teens problem solve.
I didn't graduate from school too long ago.
I remember the difference in the classes between the teacher that let us leave/drink vs. the ones that didn't. It was party time when those teachers walked in. Out came the lattes, ice capps and what not. It didn't stop at the drinks. I did it too.
"How is drinking water a distraction? If water is more exciting than the teachers lesson maybe it's time to come up with better lessons." - In my four years of high school, the teachers with the best lessons were the one's with this rule. The teacher can get distracted if girls play with their water bottles, students can't focus 100% on their water bottle and the lesson at the same time.
"Drinking is a good thing for kids to do. We don’t need to make them suffer unnecessarily just because they aren’t dying of thirst. Your mindset is triggering"- And focusing on the lesson. Is that not a good thing??

Because other teachers restricted it. If everyone was allowed water it stops being a shiny nuisance. It just is there. Like the pencil and notebook are there.
Plus a sports cap bottle with water is way different than a latte.
Water being a distraction or not allowing kids to go to the bathroom is torture.
If 1 kid abuses the situation then talk to that kid and make individual consequences.
You think only letting 2 girls out at a time helps? In my school girls coordinated before class on when to need the bathroom. I saw the same 2 girls leave their classes (from 2 different rooms), meet up, and always go out at the same time.
Stop punishing the kids who need to meet their biological needs. You ban water for 45 minutes. Well, after your class I had to run across the building for the next period before the bell. You also kept us 2 extra minutes to finish the thought and tell us homework. When should I use the bathroom? Or drink? After that 2nd class? But then there is the 3rd class. So all 300 girls should drink, use the bathroom, eat lunch, get the afternoon books from our lockers... and get to the next class in 25 minutes. Makes sense. So reasonable.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics