Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Turkey day
1  2  3  Next

When do you celebrate thanksgiving (USA)?
Thursday  
 32%  [ 16 ]
Friday night  
 4%  [ 2 ]
Shabbos day  
 2%  [ 1 ]
Never; I don't believe in it  
 61%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 49

chen

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 4:53 pm
For USA residents only:

When do you celebrate Thanksgiving?

cindy324

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 10:44 pm
It's not that we celebrate Thanksgiving, it's really an excuse for my friend and I to get together and cook some really good and fancy food , that we know our husbands would never eat had we made it for a shabbos. We make all the things we always want to try, but cacn't because noone will eat it! Sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie, cranberry pineapple relish, candied sweet potatoes....YUM (right, timeout?)

stem

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 11:19 pm
Yum, sounds heavenly. Anyone inviting us for a Thanksgiving dinner? Wink

nicole81

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 11:23 pm
I love thanksgiving. it's the only time of the year I get to eat a freshly roasted turkey because there's no way myself or anyone I know would make one otherwise.

chen

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 12:14 am
nicole81 wrote:
I love thanksgiving. it's the only time of the year I get to eat a freshly roasted turkey because there's no way myself or anyone I know would make one otherwise.

really? I make it whenever it's on sale, which is usually rosh hashana, t-day and pesach. ( but we only get frozen ones in the supermarket, not fresh. )

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 8:18 am
There is no way my husband would miss a chance for roasted turkey and mashed potatoes Tongue Out

buba123

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 1:52 pm
We never celebrated Thanksgiving at home. My father said that the whole holiday is connected to non jewish religion and that it was kind of a religious holiday for the Pilgrims. They were thanking their g-d - connected to turkey? My MIL makes a whole meal - yet my dh agrees with my father.
Anyoe else out there who doesn't celebrate?

Personally - I love turkey & enjoyed the meals I attended by my in-laws.
Don't jump on me - I'm not saying it's wrong 8)

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 2:28 pm
my parents always had a meal thurs. night. just cuz everyone's off from work/school... not that we were celebrating anything. we don't go around the table saying what we're grateful for, either LOL
since we've been married, my in-laws wanted us to come to them for thanksgiving. but for kashrus reasons (the meal is at another relative's house) we try to avoid going. we managed to get around it this year (and the past 2 years), and my parents are out of town this year, so this'll probably be my 2nd year not having thanksgiving dinner. (the first was when I was in sem)

chen

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 2:32 pm
buba123 wrote:
. They were thanking their g-d - connected to turkey?

???? say what??? Turkey has nothing to do with any form of worship of a deity in New England. a book written some 20 years after the original celebration in 1621 mentions that these birds were available--as were ducks, geese, and fish. of these, only turkey was strictly a New World species. Somehow, this bird became associated with the holiday, maybe because it best symbolized the break from England (my own fanciful speculation based on nothing at all Smile ).

there is no record of the original Pilgrims celebrating beyond the first harvest. several US presidents held one-time celebrations, but thanksgiving did not become a national holiday till 1863. Abraham Lincoln's Thanksgiving Proclamation makes no mention of the Pilgrims at all, but, rather, speaks of thanking G-d for His bounty and asking Him to protect and heal the nation (which was at the time in the midst of the Civil War).

anyone interested can read the proclamation at http://members.aol.com/calebj/.....html. warning: the gettysburg address it ain't. very turgid 19th-century prose, tough going. wear your hiking boots.

stem

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 2:51 pm
Here's something interesting.

A turkey is called a "Hodu" in hebrew. Hodu means thanksgiving.

Incidentally, the country of India is called "Hodu" in Hebrew, which is where Columbus thought he was when he discovered America and called the natives Indians.

... ...

Rivk

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 2:52 pm
Very interesting, stem!

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 4:30 pm
ha ha! that reminds me of color war in sem around purim time... the teams were hodu and kush (you know in the megillah, me'hodu v'ad kush).
I was on team hodu, one girl dressed up as a turkey, and the rest of us dressed up as pilgrims! it was pretty funny!

ilvmommyhood

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 5:09 pm
613 you can come to us:)

turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, greenbean casserole, accorn squash, mushroom soup, pumpkin pie, apple pie. And I am sure I am missing something there!

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 5:13 pm
sounds yummy! I would, but we actually have a wedding that day!

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 6:05 pm
613- maybe theyll serve turkey Smile

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 6:13 pm
613 wrote:
ha ha! that reminds me of color war in sem around purim time... the teams were hodu and kush (you know in the megillah, me'hodu v'ad kush).
I was on team hodu, one girl dressed up as a turkey, and the rest of us dressed up as pilgrims! it was pretty funny!

LOL

ilvmommyhood

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 6:20 pm
I forgot the cranberries! I know I was missing something!!!

Even was able to get a shoar habor turkey this year and not special order from david elliot!

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 2:15 pm
oh good, cuz my dh refuses to eat turkey if there's no cranberries!! (I'm serious shock )

amother

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 3:21 pm
stem wrote:
Here's something interesting.

A turkey is called a "Hodu" in hebrew. Hodu means thanksgiving.

Incidentally, the country of India is called "Hodu" in Hebrew, which is where Columbus thought he was when he discovered America and called the natives Indians.

... ...

COOL! Shkoyach! This could be the start of a great Purim Torah!

ElTam

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 8:10 pm
I thought it was tarnegol hodu for turkey, not just hodu.

Anyway, we do the whole traditional meal, except no pumpkin pie because I think it's disgusting.

We have a few Jewish, non-frum friends who won't stay by us for shabbos and so we can't ever have them for shabbos or yomtov over each year.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days