Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is this rude?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 4:36 pm
Is it ok for someone who is a size two to complain about getting so fat over Chanukah in front of someone who is a size 20?

amother
Lightgreen

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 4:39 pm
Not rude. Some people don't even notice other people's size. I certainly wouldn't take it personally.

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 4:40 pm
As a size 20 I always say yeah you are so fat you make me look skinny.

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 4:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it ok for someone who is a size two to complain about getting so fat over Chanukah in front of someone who is a size 20?

No, but it would make me roll my eyes and I would find it hard to exhibit mock sympathy so would likely walk away. (I’m a U.S. size 12 so around the middle of this spectrum fwiw).

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 4:41 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
Not rude. Some people don't even notice other people's size. I certainly wouldn't take it personally.

It's not okay to say in front of people of any size.

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 4:42 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
As a size 20 I always say yeah you are so fat you make me look skinny.
Rolling Laughter

Funny! Unless the person has an ED. 🤭

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 4:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wouldnt think it was rude. I would be worried about the person if they really thought that they were getting fat at that size.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 4:46 pm
She might have said "I'm so fat" but really meant, I can't fit into any of my clothes." In that case, unless you enjoy/have the budget for clothes shopping, the problem is real. When I gain weight, I know I am not fat, but it is not fun to not fit into one's wardrobe.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 4:48 pm
It's not nice.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 4:50 pm
It’s very annoying. I have a few family members that constantly do it. The ones that are really struggling with their weight cringe every time

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 4:56 pm
I feel it’s so insensitive. She knows I struggle with my weight. What does she want me to answer her? My sympathies? Must be so hard, I can’t imagine what you’re going through? Thank god you don’t look like me yet?

amother
Charcoal

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 5:07 pm
As someone who is a size 20, I feel you. I find it very insensitive. In fact, I slowly broke contact with a close friend over this. She was constantly lamenting her weight gain of 7or so pounds. I told her more than once that I didn't appreciate it. I asked her if we can just make weight a taboo topic. She just couldn't stop talking about it. So I slowly took a few steps back from the relationship because it was causing me pain. I still speak to her but very infrequently, like 2-3 times a year.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 5:13 pm
100% rude.

Insensitive.

Unappreciative of what she does have.

I would feel awful if a size 2 - or 6, or 10, or 12 - complained about her weight.

sincerely,

A size 3x who wishes she was a size 14/16

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 5:15 pm
They're usually in their own head and not even thinking about your size. But if you wanted to say something -how about "If you are fat then what am I"

amother
Mimosa

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 5:37 pm
My dd does that sometimes. She's not a size zero but sometimes she'll say : "oh I'm so fat!"
I tell heer:"what does that make me???"
But I say it with a smile!
I don't think it's rude, more insensitive and immature!

MrsDash

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 5:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

Women clothing sizes are the most unreliable source of information regarding being overweight or not. (I specifically call out the women sizes not the mens because they actually have the measurements of their pants and shirts, unlike womens clothing, which have an arbitrary number based on nothing.)

Perhaps I'm merely out of touch, and the term "size two" has become a euphemism to describe slender women?

Regardless, it's okay to complain at any size, but it's such an uninteresting, leading to nowhere topic of conversation, so why give it or them the time of day? Even the weather is more exciting and productive to talk about.

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 5:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
I feel it’s so insensitive. She knows I struggle with my weight. What does she want me to answer her? My sympathies? Must be so hard, I can’t imagine what you’re going through? Thank god you don’t look like me yet?

You're 100% correct

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 5:44 pm
I'm a size 2. It's incredibly rude to speak about this to someone who is a size 20. We need to be sensitive to those around us.

mom39

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 5:53 pm
I think the size 2 person is seeking attention and wants you to say "you look great!"

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 5:56 pm
Not precisely rude. Merely stupid. Brainless. Thoughtless. Just a teeny bit (or maybe quite a lot)humblebragging, and quite possibly downright nasty, depending on the motivation.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette