Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Do you go to PTA?

Do you go to PTA?
Yes - both of them  
 87%  [ 81 ]
Yes - just the first one  
 7%  [ 7 ]
Yes - just the second one  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Only if the timing is very convenient....  
 2%  [ 2 ]
It depends which child it's for  
 0%  [ 0 ]
No  
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 93

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 7:28 pm
Do you go to PTA? One or both? Why or why not?

(Out of ds class of 15 children, just 8 went (I was able to see from the time sheets hung up)....which surprised me and made curious....

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 7:32 pm
I go just to show up but honestly, it's a waste of time & energy. In today's age of text & phones parents & teachers can & should be in contact as needed. If there's a problem the teacher shouldn't wait for pta & same with parent. My child's school does parent orientation so you get to meet the teachers at the start of the school year.

tweety1

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 7:39 pm
I always went. Recently I had an experience where the teachers were saying one thing and report card Said exact opposite. I asked the principal which one should I believe? What's the point of pta? No answer. Next year I'll have to think hard before wasting my time.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 7:42 pm
I go because my kids prepare these letters and bulletin boards and won't forgive me if I don't go and check them out but otherwise a waste of time. I think recently the girls school has been doing second pta over the phone which is nice.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 7:43 pm
Yes, my husband and I always go, for every child, at every opportunity. I consider it time well spent and worth hiring a babysitter.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 8:45 pm
I always go. I dont understand why you would think its a waste of time. There is nothing like seeing the teachers face to face and being able to discuss smaller issues that dont warranty a phone call. The kids feel good knowing that we take the time to go to pta for their sake.
When I had a house full of little kids, I would often miss the second pta if I knew my kids were doing well. Also nowadays, the schools have an apointment system and you no longer have to spend hours waiting on line. So no good excuse to miss pta.

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 10:38 pm
Always, if only to show that my child has a parent who cares about him. Not showing up can be seen as announcing that you don't give a hang, and if that's the case, why should the teacher?

B"H my kids do well in school and there are seldom any issues, but I go to show I'm a concerned parent. My schoolteacher friends tell me it's the parents who don't need to come who show up faithfully, while those who really need to be talked to stay away. Surprise, surprise.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 10:53 pm
I go for my child's sake & not for the teacher. PTA is not the time to discuss any serious issues. I go for my kids. They're so excited for me to see their classrooms and they prepare things for the mothers & I leave a treat in their desk.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 10:58 pm
DH and I take turns going if it's in person. That way we don't need a babysitter. We really prefer Zoom conferences though. Those were the best thing to come out of covid! It's so much easier to step away from the kids for 5 minutes at a time for a quick Zoom conference than to schlep to the school.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 11:03 pm
Agree zoom conferences were great

I always go for both for all kids BUT last time I skipped my sons math teacher (cuz first time around he literally said "he is doing great. I have nothing else to add"
And 3 weeks later got a test to sign with a 17%. When I called teacher, he says oh yeah he has been doing horribly this semester but I only send home tests that they actually fail. I couldn't believe it.

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 11:16 pm
I always go to both but in my boys yeshiva second half conferences are by rebbe/morah request. You only go if they ask to see you. First half conferences everyone goes. So if you send to the same yeshiva I do, thats why less signed up.

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 11:37 pm
My husband goes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics