Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
The didnt hit in the olden days either!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 7:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
They hit a generation ago even two.
But more than that?
I think the idea of hitting started in the early 1900s?

Huh?? No

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 7:56 pm
You're right, hitting wasn't so common before 1900. Beating, spanking, whipping, hurting children with sticks and belts etc. was. Plain open handed hitting? The type that's legal nowadays? Not as common.

But I don't think that's what you meant in your OP...

SuperWify

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:01 pm
“Spare the rod spoil the child.”

Mishlai written by Shlomo HaMelech thousands of years ago..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:05 pm
I feel like there wouldnt be so many people in the world if they hit all the time!

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:06 pm
I guess I just have been dreaming then …. More like having nightmares .

amother
Plum

Huh? Before there were whips and serious items used to hit anyone who didn’t listen!

amother
Eggshell

amother OP wrote:
I feel like there wouldnt be so many people in the world if they hit all the time!

Why not? Kids generally weren't hit to death...

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:07 pm
How do you explain the lashes/ makos the Torah talks about? Hitting has been around forever

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:08 pm
In the olden days, nearly all girls (with rare exception) and poor boys (ie. most boys) didn't get formal chinuch either.

Goody2shoes

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:08 pm
amother OP wrote:

I don't get the connection.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:19 pm
amother OP wrote:

Your posts are not making any sense

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:20 pm
amother OP wrote:

People weren't hit to the point of death. Where is all this coming from?

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 9:09 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I guess I just have been dreaming then …. More like having nightmares .

That's what I was going to say. I must have imagined it.

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 1:20 am
As others have said, corporial punishment was the norm and an idiology, "spare the rod and spoil the child".
I recently read firsthand accounts of everyday life in a shtetel in Poland where my ancestors lived before the war, as told by the survivors in a book they wrote so the Jewish shtetel, now a gentile place, would not be forgotten. There I read about how children were punished for disobedience in cheder that involve public humiliation of a child where everyone had to participate, and in fact there are some forms of punishment that are in my eyes even worse than hitting. The stories were told in a matter-a-fact tone and woven with other anecdotes, as that was the accepted norm in those times.
Thank G-d discipline today has evolved, and children can be taught by keeping their physical safety and self-respect intact.

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 1:24 am
DH got hit in school in the 80's. UK.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 1:27 am
amother OP wrote:
They hit a generation ago even two.
But more than that?
I think the idea of hitting started in the early 1900s?

My husband got hit in Yeshiva. In my elementary school, in early 1990s there was a teacher who hit her students. She got fired. My parents didn’t hit me.

challah58

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 2:38 am
My husband was all the way through elementary school in the 2000s until he was too big to hit Sad
Slapped, hit with a stick, made to swallow pepper...He insists he's not traumatized 🤷

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 3:00 am
SuperWify wrote:
“Spare the rod spoil the child.”

Mishlai written by Shlomo HaMelech thousands of years ago..

That's actually from Hudibras by Samuel Butler.

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 4:11 am
I have no clue where you are getting your information from.

Here is an article on corpreal punishment:
https://localhistories.org/a-h.....ment/

I am pulling this quote:
The first country to abolish corporal punishment in schools was Poland in 1783. Luxembourg followed in 1845. Other countries abolished it in the 20th century.

So corporeal punishment was being abolished before you claim it started.

The Shulchan Aruch has a piece on not hitting or physically punishing your child once they have got to the age that they will lash out in reaction - it is considered lifnei iver. You can conclude from that it was expected and normal to hit your children as chinuch.

Consider that it was a world that was much more brutal - where you children and yourself could be sold as slaves to cover your debts or as punishment (until slavery fell out of popularity) , public beatings and hangings where common for even small offenses, and just making enough money to not starve was very difficult. Most children where active participants in the families parnassa.

One could argue that modern parenting in history would create children so soft it would be impossible to survive in the brutality of the times. Much of what is tragic and horrific for us today was commonplace in history (babies and children dying, families being wiped out by illness leaving one survivor, stillbirths and pregnant mothers dying, brutal wars and pogroms, expulsions, blood libels, heavy and crippling jewish taxes). We are incredibly lucky that we have the peace and time to focus on our children's emotional wellbeing and can see chinuch as more then just survival.

As to why they are so many children - birth control is a fairly modern invention. Besides - many children didn't survive to adulthood - so you had top have a lot of children if you wanted an heir and someone to carry on the family name.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 4:54 am
My DH is 50 and was hit by his parents and teachers.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics