Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I shredded my paycheck!!!!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:03 pm
I can't believe in this dumb!!!!!!
My boss put my check into a pile of papers on my desk and that pile happened to have been my shredding pile. I saw him putting it down and planned to put it away but I was busy with something else. 10 minutes later I picked up the whole pile and shredded it.
I can't!
How on earth do I tell him?? I need the money but I'm so so embarrassed. Anyone here ever loose a check and can give me some chizzuk?

UQT

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:04 pm
It’s really not a big deal to print another check. It’s not like it got stolen and you want him to cover it.

NechaMom

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:05 pm
It’s pretty funny but I’d definitely ask for a new check. It’s a human mistake. I’m sure your boss won’t be mad. It’s not a financial loss for him!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:06 pm
It's the embarrassment of having to tell him what I did with the first one that's eating me up.
Also, I walked out of the office today without telling him, how weird is it to tell him on Monday? Why didn't I tell him right away?

Einikel

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:08 pm
Hi, I accidentally misplaced/shredded my check. Can I get a replacement please?
It's really not a big deal. I used to work with the payroll secretary and she got such requests all the time.

chestnut

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:08 pm
Just tell him on Monday that you thought you put it in your purse, but didn't find it and realized you must have shredded it with other papers underneath it.
Things happen, he won't think less of you.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:09 pm
Einikel wrote:
Hi, I accidentally misplaced/shredded my check. Can I get a replacement please?
It's really not a big deal. I used to work with the payroll secretary and she got such requests all the time.

My place doesn't have a payroll secretary, it's the boss who takes care of it. I wouldn't be half as embarrassed if I'd be able to talk to someone else here.

synthy

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:10 pm
Just send him a message that you shredded the check by mistake, if he could please reprint.

When I started working as a girl I put away my first paycheck at a very, very safe place. So safe that I had no idea where. I was so embarrassed to ask for a new one that I considered giving up the $300 I had earned 😆.

Einikel

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
My place doesn't have a payroll secretary, it's the boss who takes care of it. I wouldn't be half as embarrassed if I'd be able to talk to someone else here.

Is he generally nice and understanding? If he is he probably won't think twice about it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:11 pm
synthy wrote:
Just send him a message that you shredded the check by mistake, if he could please reprint.

When I started working as a girl I put away my first paycheck at a very, very safe place. So safe that I had no idea where. I was so embarrassed to ask for a new one that I considered giving up the $300 I had earned 😆.

I also considered giving up the money Wink it's just a bit too much to let go and DH doesn't even let me consider it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:12 pm
Einikel wrote:
Is he generally nice and understanding? If he is he probably won't think twice about it.

If he were I think I'd be ok. He's not though. He's gonna say something stupid.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:19 pm
Laugh it off with him, own your humanness.

amother
Yarrow

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:20 pm
amother OP wrote:

So prep yourself emotionally that he will be rude.
And when he is, you'll say kaparos avonos! Amen!

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:23 pm
Just FYI you can ignore it all you want, but he’ll eventually or whoever does the reconciling see that it wasn’t cashed and they’ll come ask you if you need a new one. I think that would be more embarrassing 2-3 months down the line.

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:24 pm
Why don't you tell him the pile he put it down on was your shredding pile? Makes it more understandable. You can add if you were busy with x y z today and so you were more distracted.

Einikel

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:24 pm
For the future, can you request direct deposit?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:26 pm
Thanks everyone.
Just curious, am I the only one this absentminded and dumb? No one else was able to tell me that they ever lost a check so far.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:26 pm
amother OP wrote:

I worked in payroll for many years and I heard so many much crazier stories for why people needed their checks reprinted. Don't be embarrassed. If he says something stupid, that's on him and he should be embarrassed.

synthy

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone.
Just curious, am I the only one this absentminded and dumb? No one else was able to tell me that they ever lost a check so far.
I like to think absentminded and dumb don’t go together. If I place my phone in the fridge it’s because I was thinking about something deep…

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 1:36 pm
synthy wrote:
I like to think absentminded and dumb don’t go together. If I place my phone in the fridge it’s because I was thinking about something deep…

Thanks for getting it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics