Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Drinking with a Straw

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 9:45 pm
Perhaps this question is more for EI feeding speech therapists--

Does anyone know if there's an appropriate age for a child to be able to drink from a straw?
Is it something that you should teach if they can't do it?

My son is almost 17 months old and drinks from a regular cup beautifully (without spilling) whenever I give him a straw--he sometimes asks for one if he sees it, he has no idea what to do--he bites it and blows out. I know that there are straw sippy cups that say they are recommended for 12+ months.
I'm really honestly not very concerned--it's more of a curiosity question Or should I be concerned?

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 9:48 pm
my son is almost 2 1/2 and he was given straws by his speech therapist to strengthen his mouth muscles. A few months ago, he was given them.

If he can drink from a cup by himself, that's a really good thing.

Can he blow bubbles? Does he round his mouth when he does that? These are some of the things they were trying to get ds to do.

Another thing to do is to buy him a whistle or a blower to see if he can make noise. You can't bite and make noise at the same time.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 9:51 pm
I gave ds one of those box drinks with a straw before he was a year old and squeezed the drink through the straw. After only a couple of tries he realized that if he sucks then juice will come!

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 10:40 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
my son is almost 2 1/2 and he was given straws by his speech therapist to strengthen his mouth muscles. A few months ago, he was given them.

Can he blow bubbles? Does he round his mouth when he does that? These are some of the things they were trying to get ds to do.

Another thing to do is to buy him a whistle or a blower to see if he can make noise. You can't bite and make noise at the same time.

No. He can't blow bubbles and he basically just spits when he tried to mimic me blowing bubbles--same with a whistle or any type of blow-toy.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 10:57 pm
HAPPYMOMMY wrote:
I gave ds one of those box drinks with a straw before he was a year old and squeezed the drink through the straw. After only a couple of tries he realized that if he sucks then juice will come!

I do the same thing, when my babies are about 6-7 months that is how I teach them to drink from a straw.

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Nov 14 2008, 12:18 am
manhattanmom wrote:
Mimisinger wrote:

No. He can't blow bubbles and he basically just spits when he tried to mimic me blowing bubbles--same with a whistle or any type of blow-toy.

I honestly think that 17 months is a little young to be thinking about all of this.

As for all of those who just teach with a juice box, if a child has problems, a juice box ain't gonna cut it.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Fri, Nov 14 2008, 12:29 am
Quote:
As for all of those who just teach with a juice box, if a child has problems, a juice box ain't gonna cut it.

The OP didnt say that her child has problems. It could very well be that if she would try this method her child might very well catch on. Could be not. Could be he does need more help.

mamacita

Post Fri, Nov 14 2008, 4:31 am
My dd started at 10mos, cuz I was a first time mommy and didn't realize it might be too young, but B"H she figured it out. A cup with an attached straw worked the best because she couldn't play with it and make a mess Tongue Out lil stinker

YALT

Post Fri, Nov 14 2008, 6:41 am
Actually, the juice boxes DOES work!

DS has feeding/speech therapy since he's 3 weeks old. I think she had me start him with a straw at around 8/9 months(?) to strengthen his mouth muscles. She told me to give him juiceboxes once a day, and he'll catch on.
The 2nd day, I was shopping, and he was in need of a drink. FOr some reason, I didn't have a bottle for him. So I bough a bottle of water, and put a nice big straw inside. He knew right away what to do! And drank so nicely. Since that day, he only used straw cups (except for bed)

I know a few others who also tried the juicebox method, and it worked for them too.

Blowing bubbles is a very hard thing to do. Most 2-yr olds aren't expected to know how to do it.

I don't think it's anything to worry about to not know how to drink from a straw. One day, even when he's a chosson, he can learn it. There's no rush! Just, for those with low muscle tone by mouth, it helps to strengthen it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 14 2008, 10:31 am
I can't tell you if it's a problem, but I taught my kids at 8 or 9 months old to drink from a straw, not by using juice boxes, but by dipping the straw in water (you can sweeten it with a bit of juice if your son doesn't like water) and giving the bottom end to them. They felt the liquid coming out and naturally tried to suck some more. In which case I quickly put it in the right way and let them drink that way, while sucking.
I can't promise you he'll figure out how to suck using this method, but it's worth a shot if you're nervous.

manhattanmom

Post Fri, Nov 14 2008, 11:16 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Quote:

The OP didnt say that her child has problems. It could very well be that if she would try this method her child might very well catch on. Could be not. Could be he does need more help.

Exactly. Thanks.
I didn't say he has oral-motor issues..I'm just wondering when everyone else's kids typically began using a straw to drink. My 17 month old can't. That's all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics