Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Can he really be stopping his nap??? Please no!!!!

Twizzlers

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 1:48 pm
my 20 month old has been taking a 2.5-3 hour nap daily.

yesterday he was up in the morning like an hour earlier than usual, and totally skipped his nap! I put him in his crib, and he talked to himself for 3 hours till I said forget it and took him out.

now, he's been in there for an hour and a half and still chatting away!

can it be he's giving up his nap already?? but he gets so cranky! and heaven knows I need the break!!!!

RachelEve14

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 5:53 am
Yeah, he could be. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But if he's happy in his room / crib there is nothing wrong with a daily quiet time. You will also have some more free time in the evening because if he's skipping his nap he should go to bed a bit earlier.

If you really want him to nap you can try moving the nap later, and getting him out in the morning and wearing him out. Good luck Smile

Newsie

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 5:56 am
Keep trying to put him down. My daughter did that for about a week and I kept putting her down for a nap and eventually she started napping again. But it's possible that your son is one of those kids who needs less sleep.

Twizzlers

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 12:43 pm
update:

bh, seemed like a fluke. he did it for 2 days and now bh is back to his 3 hours...sh,sh,sh!

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 1:18 pm
Twizz, my then almost 2.5 year old decided last June that he ain't napping OR going to sleep nicely anymore. We never had trouble with him then *poof*, a new child.
I did not have as easy a time as you. He firmly refused to nap in his bed (fell asleep anywhere but) and refused to go to sleep like a normal human being at night.
All that changed after Pesach, when we realized he had gotten the upper hand. We got back to business (he really needs the nap in bed, and to go to sleep in his own bed at night) and BH are normal once again.
Don't give up. If the child needs to sleep - keep guiding him back to bed until he stays there. It works!

mamacita

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 2:00 pm
I came to offer my empathy, but B"H it seems your prayers were answered! Smile We're down to one nap from 2, but B"H it seems to be settling down after the crazy Pesach schedule buster!

queen

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 9:18 pm
my 2.5 child just began stopping her nap too.... some days she takes, but if we're busy or friends are over etc. no way jose- no nap for her!

Mommastuff

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 9:34 pm
my 2.5 is in transition now. She sometimes can last without a nap (more than I can say for myself!) On days that she refuses a nap, I try to put her in earlier at night, but that doesn't always work either.
I do miss the break!

mimivan

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 1:47 am
Yep...my 20 month old is doing it too...you may be thankful to have the nap gone if the toddler doesn't sleep at night because of it. That's how I make peace with it.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 3:13 am
Yesterday I DIDN'T put down my 2.5 year old. He went to bed at 7:00 pm. It was great. But, I do have older children who sorta watched him for me in the afternoon so that I could nap.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics