Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Communication delay UPDATE
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:07 pm
First and foremost make sure her hearing is tested.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
She does lift her arms to show me she wants to get picked up.. trying to think if she does any other communication

She's so smart and I watch her problem solve all day. She doesn't have any issues with hearing as far as I can tell. And she babbles a ton
this caught my attention. My son who is 4 and extremely delayed has no form of communication except that he raises his arms when he wants to be held. I would not consider that a real form of communication. It’s not enough.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:38 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
I know I'm the odd one out here, but I think this 'early intervention is best' is way overrated.

Every kid develops at their own pace and there's no need to push them to go faster.

Of course, if things are really concerning then it makes sense to get evaluated. But slightly delayed? No.

A baby that doesn't respond to their name at 13 months old, is really concerning and not something to wait out. OP also said that her baby doesn't communicate or understand speech, which are also concerns to be checked out. It doesn't hurt to evaluate, better be safe than sorry.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:47 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
I know I'm the odd one out here, but I think this 'early intervention is best' is way overrated.

Every kid develops at their own pace and there's no need to push them to go faster.

Of course, if things are really concerning then it makes sense to get evaluated. But slightly delayed? No.

There is a plethora of evidenced that early intervention really works. A mild delay addressed early can avoid heartache later.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:25 am
I called EI and got an evaluation scheduled.

Thank you everyone!!

amother
Natural

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:36 am
EI will prob ask you to get her hearing tested

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:37 am
amother OP wrote:
I called EI and got an evaluation scheduled.

Thank you everyone!!

Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 11:35 am
I just had the evaluation and she was approved but for very minimal services (once very other week)

Planning to get her hearing tested. I asked the evaluators and they didn't think it was necessary since she does respond to sounds but they said I can if I want to rule it out.

Any audiologists recommended in Lakewood area?

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 11:56 am
amother OP wrote:
I just had the evaluation and she was approved but for very minimal services (once very other week)

Planning to get her hearing tested. I asked the evaluators and they didn't think it was necessary since she does respond to sounds but they said I can if I want to rule it out.

If the pediatrician and you don’t have any hearing concerns, I would wait and see if she improved with speech therapy. If not then go for the hearing test at that point.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 11:58 am
amother OP wrote:

EI let go a lot of their therapists due to cost. That may be why you were approved for very minimal services

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 12:20 pm
One question they asked which I thought was interesting is if she likes or reacts to music. She doesn't particularly care or seem to notice.

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 12:25 pm
I would suggest you should do a hearing test by an audiologist.

My son had a significant speech delay, and the evaluators and doctors felt that his hearing was fine.
I finally tested at over 3 years old and he had tons of fluid that wasn't visible, which was causing a significant hearing loss.

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 1:09 pm
I was sure my daughter heard fine because she would respond when I said her name and other commands from behind her. Then I took her for a hearing test (required before speech therapy where I live) and was shocked that she was hearing at 45. She had tubes put in and did much better.
Definitely schedule a hearing test to rule out anything.

Also, do not blame yourself for anything here! You asked the doctor about it last month, and it is possible that this is your child's normal development. But even if so, it can't hurt to have some speech therapy to help her language and verbal skills progress.

You sound like an amazing mother, with so much active interaction with and stimulation for your baby!!

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 2:55 pm
I recommend Monmouth South (Kimball hospital). They were able to test my young sons hearing after CHOP gave up.

amother
IndianRed

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 3:18 pm
I’m an EI therapist.
It is a common misconception that if a baby responds to sounds hearing is ok.
There are levels of hearing loss, you can hear the sounds but still not e able to distinguish what it odd, which can result in not following directions/ delayed speech.
It’s a quick way to rule something significant out. I ALWAYS advise testing.
(Often due to fluid, so no need to panic.)

amother
Brickred

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 3:21 pm
If you could get her evaluated I would. It can really help

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 3:44 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
I would suggest you should do a hearing test by an audiologist.

My son had a significant speech delay, and the evaluators and doctors felt that his hearing was fine.
I finally tested at over 3 years old and he had tons of fluid that wasn't visible, which was causing a significant hearing loss.

Appt for audiologist is scheduled now.

Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 3:47 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
I was sure my daughter heard fine because she would respond when I said her name and other commands from behind her. Then I took her for a hearing test (required before speech therapy where I live) and was shocked that she was hearing at 45. She had tubes put in and did much better.
Definitely schedule a hearing test to rule out anything.

Also, do not blame yourself for anything here! You asked the doctor about it last month, and it is possible that this is your child's normal development. But even if so, it can't hurt to have some speech therapy to help her language and verbal skills progress.

You sound like an amazing mother, with so much active interaction with and stimulation for your baby!!

Thank you for sharing sounds similar (although my baby is more delayed than that... although probably younger)

The blame is probably a combo of my anxiety + a healthy dose of Jewish mother's guilt Smile Thank you for the encouragement as well

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 3:49 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
I’m an EI therapist.
It is a common misconception that if a baby responds to sounds hearing is ok.
There are levels of hearing loss, you can hear the sounds but still not e able to distinguish what it odd, which can result in not following directions/ delayed speech.
It’s a quick way to rule something significant out. I ALWAYS advise testing.
(Often due to fluid, so no need to panic.)

Thank you! Her appointment is now scheduled for in a couple of weeks.

Are there any tips you can give to help work on her speech? I already talk to her a lot about what we're doing. If we're going shopping I talk to her about the different fruits and vegetables I'm choosing or if I'm doing laundry etc

oneofakind

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 4:09 pm
Ask her a question and wait for a response: a point, a head shake, something. You want red cup or blue cup?
Surrounding her with words is fantastic and now she needs to communicate back.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics