Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
HPV: pros and cons
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 7:03 pm
My ds has nearly fainted from a number of vaccines. We now know that he has to lie down for several minutes following vaccination. He had the same reaction with hpv shot, flu, MMR. I would not take faintness as conclusive of any specific reaction to the hpv shot.

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 7:09 pm
In recent years, HPV cancers have been more prevalent in males which is why there’s been a recent push to vaccinate boys too.
I believe it’s about the same risk as any other vaccine. This is just based on all vaccines being risky. I would prob give it to my kids if they were teens. It’s not fair to assume immunity because someone is frum.

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 7:22 pm
Paralysis is a greater risk in HPV vax than others. Autoimmune disorders. Ovarian Failure. Death.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....59156
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....82982
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....84351
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....72561
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....69711

small bean

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 7:31 pm
Someone I'm close to was paralized for a year after taking it - needed a wheelchair to get around.

The reason it's not a given is because it is a newer vaccine and was not really studied. In the beginning many people reported reactions about lumps in their arms that didn't go away, which made people pause before giving it.

My opinion is no reason to give it to boys as they wouldn't get cancer, the reason it is given to boys afaik, is that they don't pass it to girls. And girls, there's no reason at 12 (yes, I know after 14 you get 2 doses) as they are not s-xually active. If I had a daughter that was sleeping around, I might change my mind, but until then it is not a concern until they are married, which at that point they can make their own risk/benefit calculation.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 8:52 pm
A Rav in Lakewood's granddaughter developed a seizure disorder after taking the HPV shot. When side effects hit close to home, you think differently about things.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 8:54 pm
A Rav in Lakewood's granddaughter developed a seizure disorder after taking the HPV shot. When side effects hit close to home, you think differently about things.

happy chick

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 8:57 pm
I haven't done my research, so I can't add to the conversation. But I remember having a conversation with my Dr about it a short time before covid and she said they want to make it mandatory for school. But the COVID came and....

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 9:25 pm
small bean wrote:
Someone I'm close to was paralized for a year after taking it - needed a wheelchair to get around.

The reason it's not a given is because it is a newer vaccine and was not really studied. In the beginning many people reported reactions about lumps in their arms that didn't go away, which made people pause before giving it.

My opinion is no reason to give it to boys as they wouldn't get cancer, the reason it is given to boys afaik, is that they don't pass it to girls. And girls, there's no reason at 12 (yes, I know after 14 you get 2 doses) as they are not s-xually active. If I had a daughter that was sleeping around, I might change my mind, but until then it is not a concern until they are married, which at that point they can make their own risk/benefit calculation.

Of course it was studied and tested during development and now we have over a decade observation of hpv vaccination. And you are misinformed males can get hpv related cancers.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 9:27 pm
The key word is “newer”
As in it’s all relative
The initial basic vaccines have been around with long term results for decades as in for over 50 years
Grateful our pediatrician was educated open and honest with us about telling us not to give gardasil

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 9:32 pm
Read all the cheating threads. She can be a good girl yet STDs can still happen.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 9:39 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
Read all the cheating threads. She can be a good girl yet STDs can still happen.

I’m not asking about the risk of cancer or stds. I’m asking about the risks from the vaccine itself.
I will speak to my doctor friend about it tomorrow.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 11:59 pm
small bean wrote:

This is all very naive thinking.
In years past it was shown that hpv was being passed orally and that different cancers in the mouth and throat were where the cancer was.
Also forget about a girl who is s-xually active. What if god forbid she gets raped? Thats not something you can know before. Or if her future spouse was s-xually active before her. So msny variables.

small bean

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 12:13 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
This is all very naive thinking.
In years past it was shown that hpv was being passed orally and that different cancers in the mouth and throat were where the cancer was.
Also forget about a girl who is s-xually active. What if god forbid she gets raped? Thats not something you can know before. Or if her future spouse was s-xually active before her. So msny variables.

The chance of getting raped and getting cancer because of it is so low.

The vaccine has not proven to be without side effects.

It's a cost/benefit analysis and people should make their own.

Ad BTW my doctor told me about the hpv for boys being to protect girls, a few years ago, when he offered to my son. For those questioning it.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 1:06 pm
small bean wrote:

Ad BTW my doctor told me about the hpv for boys being to protect girls, a few years ago, when he offered to my son. For those questioning it.

No vaccine is without risk of side effects. No medication is either, for that matter. As you said, it’s a risk/benefit analysis. I’m trying to ascertain what the risks are. I already know the benefits.

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 2:33 pm
small bean wrote:

That may be a side benefit, but boys can also get HPV related cancers of the aiver and some oral cancers. Your pediatrician was misinformed or you misunderstood.

Not just raped, but even good kids sometimes end up fooling around before marriage, end up with a BT, marry someone who is SA. It happens.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 3:15 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I don’t see fainting as any worse than low grade fever, unless the fainting leads to something more long term. Did the fainting continue, or was it just a one time thing?

The question is not what the fainting causes. The question is - what causes the fainting?
They like to blame it on fear of needles but that explanation does not sit with me.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 3:20 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
Of course it was studied and tested during development and now we have over a decade observation of hpv vaccination. And you are misinformed males can get hpv related cancers.

IIRC it was tested against a placebo of aluminum. Duh.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 3:20 pm
Correct
What about this vax causes fainting? Statistically more than others? As well as other side effects
I feel for you op ot can be challenging to get straight info on this and other vaccines.

As our pediatrician advised the risk of getting that which the vax is supposed to prevent did not outweigh the risk profile and stats of side effects.

small bean

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 3:22 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
That may be a side benefit, but boys can also get HPV related cancers of the aiver and some oral cancers. Your pediatrician was misinformed or you misunderstood.

Not just raped, but even good kids sometimes end up fooling around before marriage, end up with a BT, marry someone who is SA. It happens.

Again at 12 they have practically no risk. My kids are aware of the vaccine and if they choose to fool around then they can choose to get vaccinated and once they are married, they can make that decision on their own. As their mother, I don't feel I can risk harming them for something that should be ther choice whe their adults.

Just saying how many of us have gotten the vaccine? It came out after I was married and I have not gotten it.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 3:23 pm
Good point I don’t have any peers who got the vax nor do I know anyone who got cervical cancer from untreated hpv
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics