Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I shredded my paycheck!!!!
Previous  1  2

Blessing1

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 10:43 am
amother OP wrote:
I also considered giving up the money Wink it's just a bit too much to let go and DH doesn't even let me consider it.

Please don't eat yourself up over this! It's such a common thing to happen, it's really not something to feel so embarrassed over! Happens all the time that people need to request new checks, it's really not that big of a deal.
My boss once put my paycheck on top of furniture that was bolted to the wall. It fell behind, there was no way to get it out. I told them what happened & got a new check. Please don't give up your money over this!

Blessing1

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 10:44 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone.
Just curious, am I the only one this absentminded and dumb? No one else was able to tell me that they ever lost a check so far.

You're neither absent-minded nor dumb! You're a human being that made a mistake!

OceanRider

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 10:48 am
I don’t see anything stupid or dumb about accidentally shredding a check. I can so easily see this happen to me, and if it does, I don’t have any issue telling my boss I accidentally shredded it and maybe even joke that it looks like I’m here for the work more than the money

It rather seems like your boss is an intimidating insensitive character if you feel so embarrassed about it.

Last edited by OceanRider on Fri, Dec 29 2023, 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Woman of Valor

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 10:48 am
There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for a replacement. It's not like they will be paying you twice or anything.

amother
Lotus

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 10:55 am
This is a little different but once when I got my paycheck, I hid it in a side pocket in my bag- I totally forgot about it until a year later when I was cleaning the bag and found it. I emailed the payroll
Department and asked if I can still cash the check- the payroll lady said they had it in their system that I never cashed it( I don’t know why they never got in touch with me to ask) but they were very cool with it- honestly it wasn’t a lot of money, because I am a teacher and most of my money goes to my kids tuition.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 10:58 am
OceanRider wrote:
I don’t see anything stupid or dumb about accidentally shredding a check. I can so easily see this happen to me, and if it does, I don’t have any issue telling my boss I accidentally shredded it and maybe even joke that it looks like I’m here for the work more than the money

It rather seems like your boss is an intimidating insensitive character if you feel so embarrassed about it.

That he is. I'm going to ask him for another check and hope for the best.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 11:06 am
I once threw an envelope that had my cash bonus for Pesach and we desperately needed that money ☹️ recently I misplaced a $50 gift card….
I feel for you! But at least a check is replaceable

amother
Lightcoral

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 11:30 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone.
Just curious, am I the only one this absentminded and dumb? No one else was able to tell me that they ever lost a check so far.

I’ve always had direct deposit but I work in payroll and people lose checks all the time. I only find it ridiculous when people don’t realize they missed a check until months later or they lost a check and we specifically tell them not to cash the original if they find it and they do anyways.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 11:32 am
amother Lightcoral wrote:
I’ve always had direct deposit but I work in payroll and people lose checks all the time. I only find it ridiculous when people not realize they kissed a check months later or they lost a check and we specifically tell them not to cash the original if they find it and they do anyways.

If you stop lost checks, how is it possible deposit?

amother
Lightcoral

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 11:43 am
amother OP wrote:
If you stop lost checks, how is it possible deposit?

They don’t actually get the money and usually they’re charged a fee from their bank so it doesn’t have any negative impact on our company we just know it happened because we get a notification that they tried and an option to approve it despite the stop.

UQT

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 12:04 pm
I’ve had to replace checks my male employees’s wife put through the wash, twice - 2 different men. Now we do direct deposit so we don’t have issues anymore.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 12:07 pm
I have checks form ten years ago that I hadn’t deposited not sure why. Sad from a school
So yeah

Highstrung

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 12:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone.

Making a mistake doesn’t make you absent minded nor dumb. You did a very human error . Totally normal and that says nothing wrong about you . If your boss will be rude , that’s his problem and not a reflection of you .
You worked for your money and you just need a replacement check. I’ve done payroll and got such requests all the time . People lose their checks very often amongst piles of papers .
I work with government offices where they misplace and never cash the checks we send, all the time . We constantly send replacements. This is so normal you really should feel confident to ask your boss to void the check he issued and to reissue a new one .

CPenzias

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 12:12 pm
Can you email him so you don't have to see the expression on his face?

amother
Jean

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 12:13 pm
I threw my check down the garbage chute. Boss was not too happy to reissue it. But she did anyway. Good luck

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 12:23 pm
CPenzias wrote:
Can you email him so you don't have to see the expression on his face?

He has to give it to me so I'll see the expression on his face anyway.

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 3:10 pm
A) you should look into direct deposit but it sounds like your place is too small for that

B) I once ripped up some envelopes that were in my bag because I thought I needed to shred them but I’m reality they were full of cash that I had prepared for my kids’ camp tips. Much more annoying than your situation!

CPenzias

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 4:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
He has to give it to me so I'll see the expression on his face anyway.

Then let him look at you. You deserve to get paid for the work you did.
If he says something snarky ignore him or say something back like "maybe you should put it in an envelope"
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics