Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
I'm not understanding some words can you help me?
1  2  Next

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 7:53 pm
I don't know he difference between

Snood
Tichel
Scarf
Bandana
Pretied
Mitpachat

Please can you help? No bashing. Also in those thread I didn't understand "pashkenville" and "Baruch shekevanti".

Anonymous coz I'm embarrassed I don't know these things.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:04 pm
amother wrote:

Snood
Tichel
Scarf
Bandana
Pretied
Mitpachat

Please can you help? No bashing. Also in those thread I didn't understand "pashkenville" and "Baruch shekevanti".

A snood is either a cotton knit or crocheted tube like head covering similar to a beret but more oblong

Tichel and Mitpachat are the same. Tichel is yiddish and Mitpachat is Hebrew. They are what we refer to as scarves in English and they are tied in different ways on the head.

A prettied is the same thing as a bandana. A bandana is a small kerchief that you tie on your head much smaller than a regular scarf.
A prettied is an invention by a frum person so that you don't have to bother tying the bandana. It looks like a bandana, you just slip it on your head and it already has a sewn on "tie" so that it looks like you tied it

Pashkevillin are the papers that are usually seen in Eretz Yisroel with notices of someone making a big deal about something.
I have no idea what that Baruch Shekavanti means , but I think it was meant to be a joke

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:08 pm
Thank you that was very helpful.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:13 pm
Baruch shekivanti is what you say when it turns out that you have said something that a wise person already said. It's cute self-praise - thanks Hashem for guiding me to a conclusion that someone greater than I has reached.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:13 pm
I'm pretty sure baruch shekivanti is what you say when you think of something in learning a realize that a meforesh already said it, people will sometimes use it in general to mean that they thought of the same thing as someone else.

Boca00

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:25 pm
amother wrote:

Snood
Tichel
Scarf
Bandana
Pretied
Mitpachat

Snood- chenille, sequined or cable knit snoods are pretty popular now.
For example, this: BYOS Women's Cute Subtle Sparkly Sequin Cable Knitted Crochet Beret Beanie Hat,Mid-Weight Lightweight (Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D.....M3KJ1

Tichel: headscarf or pretied headscarf or bandana
Like this: Black pre-Tied Tichel Headscarf Soft Cotton Sparkles Shimmer Collection! (Black Silver dots Short) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079.....B13KA

Scarf: headscarf, not usually pretied.
Like: ShariRose Soft Lightweight Mauve pre-Tied Head-Scarf Weightless Collection! (Mauve Silver Splash Long) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074.....7PPM5

Bandana: similar to pretied, but more a bandana pattern

Pretied: pretied headscarf, as linked above by tichel

Mitpachat: Hebrew term for scarf, means the same thing

Pashkivil: posters put up all over Yerushalayim decrying different issues

Baruch shekavanti- what you say when someone has the same idea as you. Like "I was mechaven to you" in Yeshivish.

daagahminayin

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 10:20 pm
Snood
Tichel
Scarf
Bandana
Pretied
Mitpachat

...are all head coverings that should be worn with your PJs at the park.

Pashkevillen are posters you’ll find near the park telling you to wear these head coverings instead of sheitels.

Baruch Shekevanti is what you say when you meet your rebbetzin at the park and you are both wearing the same outfit.

ahuva06

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 10:25 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
Snood
Tichel
Scarf
Bandana
Pretied
Mitpachat

Pashkevillen are posters you’ll find near the park telling you to wear these head coverings instead of sheitels.

Baruch Shekevanti is what you say when you meet your rebbetzin at the park and you are both wearing the same outfit.

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

This is awesome!

penguin

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 12:43 am
Quote:
Scarf: headscarf, not usually pretied.
Like: ShariRose Soft Lightweight Mauve pre-Tied Head-Scarf Weightless Collection! (Mauve Silver Splash Long) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074.....HBbN37PPM5
Except that it seems that this one is pre-tied, and it also looks quite see-through.

essie14

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 2:02 am
daagahminayin wrote:
Snood
Tichel
Scarf
Bandana
Pretied
Mitpachat

Post of the week!
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 9:38 am
OP, I hope you got all the info you need to be able to get daagah's post.
Re baruch shekivanti: When I open a thread and have catchup to do, I'll comment as I go along. Sometimes I'll see that someone made the same point already and even if they said it much better than I could (often happens) I don't let that stop me from commenting, but I'll say baruch shekivanti so that people know I did see other posts.

I fully support your right to go amother for this, but please, don't ever feel embarrassed about asking.

InnerMe

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 12:08 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
Snood
Tichel
Scarf
Bandana
Pretied
Mitpachat

Yes! OMG you nailed it! I am lolololing.
Please keep using your awesome humor!

watergirl

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 12:40 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
Snood
Tichel
Scarf
Bandana
Pretied
Mitpachat

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 1:30 pm
Thanks everyone Smile

iyar

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 5:38 pm
amother wrote:
Baruch shekivanti is what you say when it turns out that you have said something that a wise person already said. It's cute self-praise - thanks Hashem for guiding me to a conclusion that someone greater than I has reached.

You're right, but - I hope you won't mind the hair-splitting - you're also a little wrong.
The original use of baruch she'kivanti when someone is learning Torah and finds that someone very learned already said what they thought of, is actually a bracha of thanks to Hashem for guiding one's mind to the correct path.
When PF borrows the phrase because she thought of a comment on a thread that another amother already posted, then it's a sort of tongue in cheek pat on the back she gives herself, or as you said it, cute self-praise.

iyar

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 5:40 pm
essie14 wrote:
Post of the week!
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Of the Year!

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 8:19 pm
Daagahminayin that was a very funny joke and now I understand a lot better.

But it gave me another question. 2 actually. What does daagaminayin mean? Does it mean "afraid of nothing"? Where did it come from? And my other question is there used to be someone called unfavornisht (or something like that). What does that mean? I don't understand Yiddish at all.

Thank you for the explanations and the very funny joke.

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 8:49 pm
Thank you - all this positive feedback has really brightened up my day Smile

My screenname comes from a quote which I think is attributed to the Ibn Ezra:

Ha’avar Ayin
V’he’atid adayin
V’ha’hoveh k’heref ayin
Daagah Minayin

The past is no more
And the future hasn’t happened yet
And the present is like the passing blink of an eye
So don’t worry about anything!

I heard about it from a song by Lev Tahor which you can listen to here: https://youtu.be/gEYKaXzCIio

The song and the words really affected me years ago when I was single, alone, and dealing with depression. I remember sometimes I felt so bad the depression was like a physical presence in my head and body and one thing that helped me was dancing alone in my room in the dark - so I had this song on repeat and rocked out until I felt better.

BH that stage is over now and life has been much happier since then.

I’m afraid I don’t know about your other question and don’t understand much Yiddish either!

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 9:06 pm
I think I'm putting that ibn Ezra quote on my refrigerator. I got a whole lot more out of the thread than I ever intended. Thankyou ladies.

crust

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 9:21 pm
unfarvusnisht means "and why not"?

So much chizzuk in your post Daagahminayin. Now its going over and over in my head....
adeereeerydydydydy....
adeeereerydydydydeereerum....
da- ah- goo- mee- nyin....

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics