Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
SIDS and Vaccines
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 10:56 pm
unexpected wrote:
I know people say this but none of my kids were ever offered vaccines in the hospital. I have checked their records and the first vaccines were at 2 months. This is in brooklyn, born at Maimonides

Its not done routinely at all of the NY hospitals (or was not in 2014).

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-yo.....hows/

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 11:00 pm
unexpected wrote:
I know people say this but none of my kids were ever offered vaccines in the hospital. I have checked their records and the first vaccines were at 2 months. This is in brooklyn, born at Maimonides

Many frum people do not give the Hep B vaccine at birth.

However, in NY State, hospitals are legally required to give a Vitamin K injection to newborns to help with clotting. This is not a vaccine. However, this may be what a poster above was referring to.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 11:03 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Did you know that newborns are vaccinated in the hospital?

You need to give consent for the hep-b. None of my babies got it in hospital.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 1:19 am
Surprise! Anti-vaxxer amother OP cherry picks her quotations again. (And again, she omits quotation marks, so that it's hard to know where a cited statement begins or ends and doesn't give page numbers, so that it's hard to find what she cites. In general, she posts in a way to make me believe that her secular education was deficient, and that a consequence, her ability to understand research is not strong. But I assume that she has been gifted by God with the ability to learn how to correctly read and analyze research reports, so she is not excused. If all anti-vaxxers would spend as much time learning to do critical thinking as they do posting, there wouldn't be an anti-vax movement.)

Why don't you quote this part from the report (p. 177)?
Quote:

The committee does not recommend a policy review of the recommended
childhood vaccination schedule by any of the national or federal vaccine advisory
bodies on the basis of concerns about sudden unexpected death in infancy.

Let me add: This report was published in 2004. There has definitely been research investigating the question of whether there is a connection between vaccines and SIDS since 2004. Just search in PubMed and you'll find some. Here is one, published in 2018: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29289380. I quote from the first sentence of the abstract:
Quote:

Concerns about a potential link between sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and vaccination are unsupported by longitudinal evidence.

You cannot argue that there is not sufficient evidence by looking at the evidence that was available 15 years ago. The fact is that researchers are continually investigating the safety of vaccines. They have journals devoted to the subject. That's why vaccines change: because anytime there is a potential concern about safety, as there was with the whole-cell form of the pertussis vaccine, there is a great effort to make that vaccine safer.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 1:25 am
An infant was unfortunately taken away from this world today... Now do the math and let me know if that is not clear enough evidence. So unfortunate and we don't need more like that!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 1:42 am
Any death from SIDS is a tragedy. But unless you have a huge amount of cases of SIDS directly following a vaccine, more than happen for other SIDS death, there is no reason to think that the vaccine caused SIDS. Let's do a simple arithmetic thought experiment. Babies get vaccines at least 4 times a year before they are 1: at 2, 4, 6 and 9 months. Four times in one year. If the SIDS is randomly distributed over time, then nearly 1.1% of cases of SIDS will follow administration of the vaccine by just one day. 7.69% of the SIDS cases will follow administration of the vaccine by just one week.

That's not because vaccines cause SIDS! It's because bad things happen and other events happen, so there will inevitably be some clustering of the bad events with the other events.

Let's say Baby X dies of SIDS (by definition, in his first year of life). Suppose Baby X has 4 siblings. It is as likely that Baby X died a day (or a week) after getting a vaccine as it is that Baby X died a day (or a week) after a sibling had a birthday. The sibling's birthday didn't cause Baby X's tragic death any more than the vaccine caused Baby X's tragic death.

7.69% of parents whose baby died from SIDS can look back and say that the SIDS happened a week after the vaccine was given. 7.69% of parents whose baby died from SIDS can look back and say that the SIDS happened a week after a new season started. That doesn't imply causation. Can you see that?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 1:44 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
An infant was unfortunately taken away from this world today... Now do the math and let me know if that is not clear enough evidence. So unfortunate and we don't need more like that!

Clear enough evidence of what? Did the infant have a vaccine? Even if he or she did, please read my post just following yours. Events will always cluster, but that doesn't mean there is causation.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 2:03 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Clear enough evidence of what? Did the infant have a vaccine? Even if he or she did, please read my post just following yours. Events will always cluster, but that doesn't mean there is causation.

Yes and there are so many reasons why I don't agree that it's not vaccine related.. Let's just start with the fact that MMR was never studied in synch young kids and more being highly recommended for kids in our neighborhoods. Not one died from measles!! And look who passed away following a vaccine!!!! Given at this young untested age! And you pro vaxxers want to tell me measles is more dangerous!? Look how many got the measles and all are alive to tell the tale. Childhood diseases aren't dangerous. Strep, coming out with vaccine - not dangerous when treated! Chicken pox - not dangerous either and the list goes on.. This has to stop!

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:10 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Yes and there are so many reasons why I don't agree that it's not vaccine related.. Let's just start with the fact that MMR was never studied in synch young kids and more being highly recommended for kids in our neighborhoods. Not one died from measles!! And look who passed away following a vaccine!!!! Given at this young untested age! And you pro vaxxers want to tell me measles is more dangerous!? Look how many got the measles and all are alive to tell the tale. Childhood diseases aren't dangerous. Strep, coming out with vaccine - not dangerous when treated! Chicken pox - not dangerous either and the list goes on.. This has to stop!

Just saying that more babies don’t die after taking a vaccine than yes. (You can see more babies are living than dead) Of those that do, many are linked to actual other causes- so there is a very small percent you can even pin it onto vaccines.

And if it is so why are the rates on this going down continually? That sort of weakens your belief that vaccines cause everything else when your proof is that rates on those continue to go up?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:43 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

When infants get measles, the repercussions of it may not be seen for years. The parents face years of anxiety. Several babies were very sick. Is it fair to do this to other people's babies?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 11:18 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Surprise! Anti-vaxxer amother OP cherry picks her quotations again. (And again, she omits quotation marks, so that it's hard to know where a cited statement begins or ends and doesn't give page numbers, so that it's hard to find what she cites. In general, she posts in a way to make me believe that her secular education was deficient, and that a consequence, her ability to understand research is not strong. But I assume that she has been gifted by God with the ability to learn how to correctly read and analyze research reports, so she is not excused. If all anti-vaxxers would spend as much time learning to do critical thinking as they do posting, there wouldn't be an anti-vax movement.)

Why don't you quote this part from the report (p. 177)?
Quote:

The committee does not recommend a policy review of the recommended
childhood vaccination schedule by any of the national or federal vaccine advisory
bodies on the basis of concerns about sudden unexpected death in infancy.

Let me add: This report was published in 2004. There has definitely been research investigating the question of whether there is a connection between vaccines and SIDS since 2004. Just search in PubMed and you'll find some. Here is one, published in 2018: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29289380. I quote from the first sentence of the abstract:
Quote:

Concerns about a potential link between sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and vaccination are unsupported by longitudinal evidence.

You cannot argue that there is not sufficient evidence by looking at the evidence that was available 15 years ago. The fact is that researchers are continually investigating the safety of vaccines. They have journals devoted to the subject. That's why vaccines change: because anytime there is a potential concern about safety, as there was with the whole-cell form of the pertussis vaccine, there is a great effort to make that vaccine safer.

I don't know why the committe came to the conclusion that it did. I do know the facts that their conclusion is based on. And those facts have me rather avoid vaccines.

The study you posted tells me an overall picture that in general more vaccines don't equal more SIDS, AIUI. I want a safety study for each vaccine proving it doesn't cause an increase in SIDS. Until then, don't tell me that it doesn't.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 11:32 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Any death from SIDS is a tragedy. But unless you have a huge amount of cases of SIDS directly following a vaccine, more than happen for other SIDS death, there is no reason to think that the vaccine caused SIDS. Let's do a simple arithmetic thought experiment. Babies get vaccines at least 4 times a year before they are 1: at 2, 4, 6 and 9 months. Four times in one year. If the SIDS is randomly distributed over time, then nearly 1.1% of cases of SIDS will follow administration of the vaccine by just one day. 7.69% of the SIDS cases will follow administration of the vaccine by just one week.

That's not because vaccines cause SIDS! It's because bad things happen and other events happen, so there will inevitably be some clustering of the bad events with the other events.

Let's say Baby X dies of SIDS (by definition, in his first year of life). Suppose Baby X has 4 siblings. It is as likely that Baby X died a day (or a week) after getting a vaccine as it is that Baby X died a day (or a week) after a sibling had a birthday. The sibling's birthday didn't cause Baby X's tragic death any more than the vaccine caused Baby X's tragic death.

7.69% of parents whose baby died from SIDS can look back and say that the SIDS happened a week after the vaccine was given. 7.69% of parents whose baby died from SIDS can look back and say that the SIDS happened a week after a new season started. That doesn't imply causation. Can you see that?

The above is a typical response. But one needs to look at individual vaccines and individual children. I want to see is how is SIDS clustered? Is it more often a day or two after a vaccine or not? Do you have a study to prove that SIDS is equally spread out throughout the first year of life?

Don't forget, I never said vaccines is the only cause for SIDS. I do believe based on people's experiences, though I haven't seen any studies proving or disproving, that the chances for SIDS increase immediately following a vaccine.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:05 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

What are your sample sizes? How many young infants had the measles and were "just fine"? It can't be such a large sample, because the majority of people are still vaccinated.

Now let's look at how many babies are vaccinated. How many babies do you think are vaccinated in a day? And the vast, vast majority do not get SIDS (BH).

If the sample size of infants with the measles were increased (chas v'shalom), I'm sure you would see much different outcomes.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't know why the committe came to the conclusion that it did. I do know the facts that their conclusion is based on. And those facts have me rather avoid vaccines.

The study you posted tells me an overall picture that in general more vaccines don't equal more SIDS, AIUI. I want a safety study for each vaccine proving it doesn't cause an increase in SIDS. Until then, don't tell me that it doesn't.

Science doesn't deal in proofs.

What is a safety study? Are you looking for a clinical trial, or monitoring?

Who are you asking not to tell you things?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:16 pm
I would think that with all the DNA tests on the market that find all the long lost relatives and determine what type of food that you like, that the test could eventually be given to newborns to determine if there are genetic conditions and medications including vaccines that are dangerous for that person.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:19 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I would think that with all the DNA tests on the market that find all the long lost relatives and determine what type of food that you like, that the test could eventually be given to newborns to determine if there are genetic conditions and medications including vaccines that are dangerous for that person.

Genomic medicine is a major trend right now.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:49 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Genomic medicine is a major trend right now.

So why isn't it done at birth?

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 1:12 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Is it going to convince you that vaccines are not the cause for sids if I tell you that I know 2 babies that passed away from sids before having a chance of taking shots thus not be able to be related to vaccines?

And yes many people that I guess have agendas walked into shiva and asked if the baby was vaccinated that day/week.

lots of sugar causes diabetes. not everyone with diabetes ate lots of sugar
SIDS happens without vaccination. I know a baby who died of SIDS and was COMPLETELY unvaccinated.
vaccines MIGHT add to the risk of SIDS.
let Pharma do the studies and convince us otherwise.
until then, I will abstain from taking the risk involved because the science is lacking
Did you hear Dr. Plotkin during his deposition, he said that where there is lack of evidence he assumes safety.
well, I don't

ggdm

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 1:26 pm
southernbubby wrote:
We don't know enough yet. We can sequence the DNA, but then what? There needs to be a lot of more research about what the individual genes do. Plus I guess it is too expensive.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 1:28 pm
southernbubby wrote:

Why isn't what done at birth? DNA sequencing?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics