Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Unbelievable, I have no words!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

little neshamala

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Of course we're protecting ourselves. But the main reason for quarantine is to protect the elderly and vulnerable and to see them not protecting themselves when we're turning over our lives is quite infuriating.

Totally wrong.
My goodness you are so misinformed!

The main reason we are quarantining is to kill the virus. It needs people to survive, when we are out and about it will constantly spread and never leave. We are quarantining to make it leave.
Now, about the "elderly and vulnerable" that we are trying to protect...you seem to think its a small percent of the population. I heard an infectious disease Dr on the radio explain yesterday that over 65% of Americans have some form of chronic illness, that puts them at risk.
Besides for that piece of info, here are the people who are at high risk ch"v:
-Anyone over age 60 is at risk for needing serious medical attention ch"v. Thats not "elderly".
-Anyone over 80 is at serious risk of death ch"v
-anyone, child or adult, with asthma. Read that again. Anyone with asthma. So many people have asthma!!
-anyone who smokes
-anyone with diabetes. so many people...
-anyone with high blood pressure specifically, because the damaged vessels may not be able to handle the body's stress response to the virus. SO MANY PEOPLE!
-anyone on long term steroid medication, for any condition. So many people!
-anyone on any medication that works by suppressing the immune system. Think for basic things like psoriasis, collitis, rheumatoid arthritis, vitiligo (skin pigment loss), alopecia areata (hair loss), lupus, MS...so many people!
-anyone receiving, or post, chemo or radiation...
Etc etc.

So really, you are the problem. Because most of these people recognize the issue, and have bunkered down. But people without any chochma who waltz around town, are constantly spreading it all over....and there is no end in sight if you do that. Youre just feeding the virus.

Last edited by little neshamala on Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

singleagain

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:43 pm
It's hard for people to lose their independence. Imagine having to ask someone to can no longer drive for their car keys.

How much harder is it for them now to give up what little control they have

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:43 pm
There were young people who were hit hard as well. This is something we all should take seriously

southernbubby

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:44 pm
There are some stores with special hours where only the elderly can shop. It would be great if frum communities had a plan in place for the elderly who need food.
My car needed a state inspection and other work so I made an appointment and am the only person here.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:46 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
OP you are awful. You should be deeply ashamed of yourself. Maybe the elderly need food or medicine.

I get discouraged by people like you. You are doing this for society. You make me hate selfish people. That's what you are.

What exactly is your problem lady???
Every single grocery store and pharmacy in my community is offering delivery services. I've offered to do my neighbors errands but they refused! And we have no right to be mad because they're not using precautions while we are?????? And you're calling me disgusting and awful???? What is wrong with you?? THINK BEFORE YOU POST!!!
I have no problem taking precautions and my kids being home, no problem at all. I do have a problem that the people we're trying to protect aren't trying to protect themselves. That we're turning over our lives while they're going about their day.
And I'm awful and disgusting, go figure.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Still not an excuse for the world to be turning over to protect their lives. Sorry. They shouldn't be going to work. This will just lead to more cases and will make it take longer to get rid of.

In your OP you said they were selfish and don't care about their own lives.

Now you're saying that the world should be turning over to protect their lives.

How about instead of judging people who have lived decades longer than you and acquired a lot more wisdom than you, and who are still independent.

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Of course we're protecting ourselves. But the main reason for quarantine is to protect the elderly and vulnerable and to see them not protecting themselves when we're turning over our lives is quite infuriating.

For your information, there are many many vulnerable people who ARE quarantining themselves and who DO need help.

And for your information, the main reason for quarantine is to ensure that your health system does not collapse and that if a 45yo smoking father of 10 needs a ventilator he won't be left to die. And so that if you need a doctor for any normal reason, there will be one around and there will be a clinic open that's not caring for coronavirus patients.

You're not doing this selflessly for other people. You're doing it so you have continued access to 21st century medical care.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:47 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
OP you are awful. You should be deeply ashamed of yourself. Maybe the elderly need food or medicine.

I get discouraged by people like you. You are doing this for society. You make me hate selfish people. That's what you are.

It's people like her who make me wish we could genetically engineer coronavirus to harm only smokers and those with an IQ of less than 125.

The stupidity and selfishness have reached a dangerous level already.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:48 pm
DrMom wrote:
My friend is a 61-year-old cardiologist who saves lives every day. I know plenty of doctors who are "elderly" (>60 years old).

I find the OP's attitude to be selfish and repulsive.

Can you explain to me why I'm selfish when I'm sitting home with my kids while those more at risk are out and about doing their shopping and going to weddings?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Every single grocery store and pharmacy in my community is offering delivery services. I've offered to do my neighbors errands but they refused! And we have no right to be mad because they're not using precautions while we are?????? And you're calling me disgusting and awful???? What is wrong with you?? THINK BEFORE YOU POST!!!
I have no problem taking precautions and my kids being home, no problem at all. I do have a problem that the people we're trying to protect aren't trying to protect themselves. That we're turning over our lives while they're going about their day.

Are those delivery services free? Do the elderly people you speak of have access to the internet, to order online? Do they know of these delivery services and have the money to pay for them?

Might the elderly people you speak of worry that you, with your young children and attitude, are much more likely to infect them with coronavirus than going to the store and keeping a distance? Perhaps they worry that your children will sneeze on the stuff and you won't even notice.

Have you even bothered to ask them in a respectful fashion why they chose this?

I have much more of a problem with young people thinking they are smarter than those making the guidelines, than I do with elderly people who go to the grocery store without your permission and for reasons they obviously chose not to share with you.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:50 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
It's people like her who make me wish we could genetically engineer coronavirus to harm only smokers and those with an IQ of less than 125.

Do you know how many people this is??

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:51 pm
Amarante wrote:
The main reason for the restrictions is to FLATTEN THE CURVE.

While the elderly are more at risk, anyone who is exposed has the potential to become ill and also to infect others.

A certain percentage of people who ARE NOT ELDERLY will require hospitalization and might die.

The point is that there are NOT ENOUGH hospital beds and respirators if EVERYONE GETS SICK AT THE SAME TIME.

They are trying to stagger the infection so that medical facilities aren't all jammed at the same time. It is the reason why non-essential elective surgery is being cancelled as well.

While an elderly person who chooses to gad about without a thought is an idiot - at least in my humble opinion - the restrictions are not to protect the elderly but TO FLATTEN THE CURVE.

There are not enough respirators in New York City to service the estimated number of people who will need them and that is if the CURVE IS FLATTENED.

There are also people who typically need ICU and ventilators normally without the Corona adding further people with those needs.

Yeah, it seems that people just aren't getting it. I have no idea why - it's a very simple concept and has been laid out in the simplest fashion ever on so many news outlets.

But people just aren't getting it.

amother
OP

As I said, I have no problem being in quarantine, sitting home with my kids.
I do have a problem with the people that are at greater risk not giving a dam about it and going about their routine.
And I'm being called all awful names here when I'm doing my part.

amother
Magenta

Op, your subject says it all...
Unbelievable, I have no words!

little neshamala

amother [ OP ] wrote:

Youre not listening. Take a deep breath and just listen.
We are not only quarantining to "protect the elderly". We are trying to make it go away. So that the 65% plus at risk Americans wont catch it, so that if ch"v someone you know needs an ICU bed for whatever reason there will be one available.
Please try to calm down and think straight

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:54 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
There were young people who were hit hard as well. This is something we all should take seriously

Yes, just read a report from Belgium about many 30-50 year old with no other health issues are showing "terrifying" lung scans. It's not only elderly people at risk and everyone including op and her family should be limiting their outside activities which it doesn't sound like she is fully doing if she is out and about seeing so many elderly doing the same.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:54 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Do you know how many people this is??

Yes.

Okay, fine. Let me restate that.

The people who understand that they are not brilliant usually listen to the experts and are not dangerous.

It's the people who believe themselves to be smart but who aren't really, who are dangerous.

So I wish we could engineer the virus to affect those with an IQ of 100-125. Those are the really dangerous ones - the smart ones who understand the limits of their own intelligence are fine, as are the less smart ones who understand the limits of their own intelligence.

There, does that make the number low enough for you to stomach?

This is me frustrated by TWO CONSECUTIVE outbreaks, both caused by people who think that because they have college degrees they are smarter than the health experts and can do what they want.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:55 pm
Are those delivery services free? Do the elderly people you speak of have access to the internet, to order online? Do they know of these delivery services and have the money to pay for them?

Might the elderly people you speak of worry that you, with your young children and attitude, are much more likely to infect them with coronavirus than going to the store and keeping a distance? Perhaps they worry that your children will sneeze on the stuff and you won't even notice.

Have you even bothered to ask them in a respectful fashion why they chose this?

I have much more of a problem with young people thinking they are smarter than those making the guidelines, than I do with elderly people who go to the grocery store without your permission and for reasons they obviously chose not to share with you.

Yes, delivery is free and everyone knows about it. Me and my kids are home, we're not going anywhere.
When I asked my grandfather and neighbor why they're going shopping and to weddings, they both said no one can force them to stop.
My neighbors went to their granddaughters wedding because they "didn't want to miss it".
While I'm sitting home and being called selfish.
This is so twisted.

amother
White

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:56 pm
It must be hard for you having your life turned upside down- it’s not easy here either. I need to move my family into into my siblings home because I lost my jobs due to this situation and I don’t know what my financial future holds.. but we should all care for one another especially through hard times.
Sending hugs during this hard time.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:56 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Youre not listening. Take a deep breath and just listen.
We are not only quarantining to "protect the elderly". We are trying to make it go away. So that the 65% plus at risk Americans wont catch it, so that if ch"v someone you know needs an ICU bed for whatever reason there will be one available.
Please try to calm down and think straight

I know that, and I'm happy to quarantine.
But I do have the right to be mad at those that are at greater risk are not taking it seriously.
I do have the right to vent without being called awful and disgusting.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:57 pm
If you are at home, other than a couple of neighbors that you called, and your grandfather, how exactly are you witnessing so many elderly people about?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics