Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Unbelievable, I have no words!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:17 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I definitely don't agree with the way OP worded it, but I agree with the idea behind it.

I think that shutting down schools, stores, synagogues, businesses, sporting events, weddings, imposing a 8PM curfew, and quarantining thousands of healthy people should be absolute last resorts.

Doing the above kills our economy and will have long-lasting effects on the entire world.

Why couldn't those who are at higher risk be quarantined while the rest of society tries to function as normally as possible while still taking extra precautions with hygiene?

And it would be mine and many others absolute pleasure to help out the elderly in any way they needed.

Most elderly do not like begging for help. Most people do not like begging for help.

If they never receive offers of help in normal times, why would you think they would want to go begging for help now?

And, the answer to your question, is that we DID that with the measles outbreak and people still got sick. Now, no one is immune. You can quarantine those who are higher risk but unless they live in a separate room with its own bathroom (or live entirely alone) and see not a single soul until this outbreak is over, they will be just as at risk as if they had walked outside. Because members of their families can contract the virus and infect them.

And because of that, even if it was feasible to quarantine new mothers and unvaccinated babies and the immunocompromised during the measles outbreak, and surround them only with immune people who could not infect them, quarantining only the high-risk WILL NOT WORK RIGHT NOW. Because unless you place them in literal solitary confinement, they WILL get sick.

And two more things:
1) We don't yet know who exactly is high risk, all we know is that the mortality rates rise with age. Everything else is guesswork based on similar viruses. We have no idea why certain 37 and 27yos get very sick and some have it mildly. We are guessing.
2) The price of solitary confinement for so many people, for possibly a year, is way too high - much higher than a general quarantine or having to lower our standards and change how we work for a few months. It's also immoral to force solitary confinement on so many already disadvantaged others (who you likely won't feel like helping anymore by month 4) simply for the sake of your pocketbook and cultured lifestyle.

And that doesn't even TOUCH the fact that in the meantime it is likely that the healthcare system will completely collapse due to overloads by those who aren't "at risk" but got sick anyways.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:19 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Giving her a high triple digit IQ is optimistic. I wouldn't say it was higher than 92.

I didn't give OP an IQ of anything. I just think that if we set the lower limit at 125, we'll see a lot less dangerous garbage.

iyar

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:23 pm
Since this pandemic started I've received countless messages about how coronavirus means Mashiach is about to come. Ever since I was very little, I was taught to say Ani Ma'amin, to sing Ani Ma'min, and to believe that Mashiach is ready to appear at any moment if HKBH in His infinite wisdom and kindness decides this is the right moment. But all those WhatsApps about Mashiach arriving with the virus? I delete them. At this point I don't even bother rolling my eyes when I get another one.
OP has changed all that. There's an oft quoted Gemara about the generation of Mashiach's arrival. It will be a generation where chutzpah will increase (or be abundant) and the young will humiliate the elderly.
He can't be far away.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:28 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Agreed. The elderly and immuno-compromised individuals should be the ones in quarantine and the rest of the world should go on.

Makes absolutely no sense the way things are being done now.

And don't tell me I'm heartless and selfish.
Quote:

You don't understand how this works. It is not clear who is most vulnerable. Right now in Europe they are seeing more people under 65 in the ICUs with this virus. We all have to do our part to keep all of us safe.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We have offered, they said they're "fine" they can go to the grocery themselves. My grandfather doesn't want to hear of staying home, and he's a heart patient!! Why why why??? As
Quote:
long as those at risk are not willing to protect themselves, our kids should be in school and we shouldn't have to quarantine. There's no point.

There are other people besides elderly that are vulnerable. Many people that got over the virus now have reduced lung capacity. I don't want anyone to get this virus, So I and my family are staying in our house and you and yours should do the same.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:33 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I didn't give OP an IQ of anything. I just think that if we set the lower limit at 125, we'll see a lot less dangerous garbage.

I honestly do not know if I can forgive you for your utter nastiness.
You don't have to agree with me, but you don't have to call me names either.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:35 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
There are other people besides elderly that are vulnerable. Many people that got over the virus now have reduced lung capacity. I don't want anyone to get this virus, So I and my family are staying in our house and you and yours should do the same.

We're all home.
I'm just frustrated that people that are supposedly at higher risk are not home. And I'm being called all sorts of terrible names for being frustrated.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:41 pm
OP's post has me really upset. I am over 60 and I feel that I have to apologize for my existence. My husband recently had emergency surgery which he survived and I am not allowed to visit him. I am aware of trying to stay ok so he can come home. Sorry we're still around.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:43 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
OP's post has me really upset. I am over 60 and I feel that I have to apologize for my existence. My husband recently had emergency surgery which he survived and I am not allowed to visit him. I am aware of trying to stay ok so he can come home. Sorry we're still around.

You're taking my words out of context.
You don't need to apologize for anything.
But medical professionals are saying that people over 60 are at higher risk, why isn't everyone over 60 taking it seriously?
Of you're quarantined and taking necessary precautions, I obviously don't mean you.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I honestly do not know if I can forgive you for your utter nastiness.
You don't have to agree with me, but you don't have to call me names either.

The post you quoted does not include any name-calling.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You're taking my words out of context.
You don't need to apologize for anything.
But medical professionals are saying that people over 60 are at higher risk, why isn't everyone over 60 taking it seriously?
Of you're quarantined and taking necessary precautions, I obviously don't mean you.

She's not taking you out of context. If she had to go to the grocery store she's one of the people you called selfish in your first post.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:49 pm
She's not taking you out of context. If she had to go to the grocery store she's one of the people you called selfish in your first post.

She can have her groceries delivered just like I'm doing or she can ask her family/neighbors to pick them up for her.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:49 pm
The post you quoted does not include any name-calling.

I'm meant all your posts and attitude towards me. I can not forgive that.
You and amother burlywood.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:54 pm
Because we 60 year olds are out grocery shopping for our 80 year old parents. Our business will suffer and I hope we'll be able to pay our mortgage but THAT doesn't worry me as much as my fragile parents CV catching this virus. And when I run over and drop off supper and I am the only face they saw that day....and I stay far away and leave in 2 minutes..I worry about them being quarantined with no aides, no food (if we can't deliver) they may C"V hurt themselves or fall into a depression they may never get out of.
OP, you're being inconvenienced for the sake of many of our parents and grandparents. They raised us. Give them some respect. Offer to shop for elderly neighbors. Check in on them, even by phone. Go out of your comfort zone so that iyh we don't lose the zikainim of our generation.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She can have her groceries delivered just like I'm doing or she can ask her family/neighbors to pick them up for her.

That's if she lives in an area where delivery is an option.

Even if she's not your neighbor, if she went to the grocery store or didn't want to pay an extra 10% for delivery, she would be one of those you unforgivingly and hatefully condemn.

amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm meant all your posts and attitude towards me. I can not forgive that.

That's fine. But I would check your own posts and attitude first.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:04 pm
That's fine. But I would check your own posts and attitude first.

I'm not shaming and degrading anyone.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can someone please explain if the virus is dangerous for the elderly, why are the elderly out and about??? I was shocked to see so many over 60's at the grocery and other stores. If they're so selfish and don't seem to care about their own safety, why should I???? Why are we trying to protect them when they're not even protecting themselves??
Why are the schools closed & why are we turning over our lives when the ones at risk can't bother to stay home?? This is literally making my blood boil.
If all elderly and vulnerable will stay home for the next month, and the rest of the world will go on, the virus will blow over very fast.

Because they need to eat? Because even some young and healthy people get really sick and even die from it?

ora_43

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:13 pm

I doubt my IQ is as high as 125, but it's high enough to know that people with 125+ IQs are under 5% of the population. That's a pretty harsh limit you're trying to set, there.

(I'd also argue that plenty of dangerous garbage has come from the super-high-IQ set, historically speaking)

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:16 pm
Double post deleted

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:21 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Because they need to eat? Because even some young and healthy people get really sick and even die from it?

If in Italy & Israel everyone is finding a way to manage, why can't it be the same in the US?
Yes, young people do get sick. But over 60 is at greater risk. How's the virus supposed to stop when people aren't taking necessary precautions?
Hatzola in Monsey is driving around with loudspeakers now urging people to use more caution. People are not taking it as seriously as we ought to be.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics