Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
So upset about this!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:29 am
My husband gifted me with a sterling silver leichter upon the birth of my baby B”H. Made sure to have it lacquered before using. It’s just a mere few weeks and I see some ugly discoloration on some of the rims. What could this be?

amother
Electricblue

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:30 am
Take it back to the place that lacquered it.
Did wax drip on it?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:37 am
amother Electricblue wrote:
Take it back to the place that lacquered it.
Did wax drip on it?

No, wax didn’t drip on it. I use relax. I got it lacquered at the sterling store where it was purchased. Do you think the discoloration has anything to do with the lacquer or the quality of the silver? It cost a pretty penny Sad The discoloration looks similar to rust

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:19 am
At the silver store we frequent, they have a new sign up regarding the lacquering process warning people that it’s not a perfect art and that imperfections such as bubbles, dark spots, etc. are part of it. They also warn that you shouldn’t wash it with hot water or chemicals as this will ruin the sealant.
We have purchased many silver items in the last several year and I can tell you the lacquering quality has changed. It’s not my imagination.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:26 am
I've had that with a lot of what a lacquered and realized it's really not worth it and ruins the silver. I will not lacquer anything else.....

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:29 am
amother Marigold wrote:
At the silver store we frequent, they have a new sign up regarding the lacquering process warning people that it’s not a perfect art and that imperfections such as bubbles, dark spots, etc. are part of it. They also warn that you shouldn’t wash it with hot water or chemicals as this will ruin the sealant.
We have purchased many silver items in the last several year and I can tell you the lacquering quality has changed. It’s not my imagination.

Except that it looked perfect when we picked it up after lacquering and I have not washed it or treated it with chemicals

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:36 am
We have silver cups and candlesticks that are not lacquered ay all. Simply means one has to polish them every now and then. I think the silver looks better this way, more like real soft silver and not like too shiny, almost fake metal.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 8:57 am
Sounds like a sloppy lacquering job. But I learned years ago that the best lacquer is no lacquer at all. Frequent use and polishing, nuisance though it may be, is the best thing for silver. Lacquer will eventually oxidize, wear off or flake off, and then it's a nightmare to remove it. My mom had a lovely tray that came lacquered. It looked great for twenty years or so, but once it started to tarnish it was impossible to clean. It was tarnishing under the lacquer, presumably because the lacquer had worn thin or developed pinholes through which air could penetrate but polish couldn't.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 4:40 pm
I have a brass leichter and the protective laquer has worn off in some places.
Does anyone know any home remedies? Just polishing with brass polish doesn't do the trick.

English3

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 4:44 pm
It can be that where you store it is not sealed properly. It discoulors if its not in a sealed cupboard or box.
Also leaving it out for long. When I pack it away mz'sh I see it stays silver for longer.
You can try wiping it with a dry cloth and see if the dirt comes off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry