Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is this lying?

amother

Post Fri, Mar 02 2012, 10:39 am
if someone asks your name, and you tell them your middle name? I.e the name before the surname

amother

Post Fri, Mar 02 2012, 10:45 am
if you don't go by your middle name it might be misleading. if you are known by your middle name or you use this as your name then no problem

amother

Post Fri, Mar 02 2012, 10:46 am
I agree with amother

chocolate chips

Post Fri, Mar 02 2012, 1:22 pm
and you are amother because??

If it is someone who is not important and you don't want them to know personal information like the spooky guy at the bank or the make up clerk at the department store, tell them what you like.

If it is someone who will be close to you or have considerable amount of interaction with you /friends it is misleading and she would probably be upset when she realized you lied to her.

Strawberry2

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 5:46 am
amother wrote:
if someone asks your name, and you tell them your middle name? I.e the name before the surname

Depends to who & why!

morah

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 7:31 am
You're asking the wrong question. Yes, it's lying, that's obvious. But is it justified? Depends on the situation, but I can think of a bunch of scenarios where it would be.

invisiblecircus

Post Tue, Mar 06 2012, 5:06 am
I'm not sure it's lying as such since your middle name is still technically your name but when someone asks the question they usually want to know the name you're known by or what they may call you. If that is your middle name, no problem at all. If noone ever calls you by your middle name, why would you tell someone that is your name? Unless, as someone else said, it is some weird guy serving behind the counter of a shop.

My Grandfather's name was Ernest John but everyone called him Jack. When someone asked his name, he would tell them it's Jack. Technically, he was lying but if it was clear that the person was asking what they may call him then I don't see the problem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette