Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Please HELP!!! We've been evicted!!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 2:08 pm
We've just been evicted.. with nowhere to go Sad Sad
Anyone know of any 4-5 bedroom apartments in Brooklyn? Flatbush, Boro Park, Segate?
Please, please help!!!!

rising hero

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 2:15 pm
Why were you evicted? Can you assure the next landlord that he won't need to evict you?

asp40

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 2:24 pm
I am sorry to hear that you have been evicted. But I am guessing if it is for financial reasons then a 4-5 bedroom apt is probably too large. I hope you find something.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 2:25 pm
No... cuz he needs the house to build. Were amazing bout the rent.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 2:28 pm
Rent is not the issue bh. Anyone have anything? Or know of?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 2:38 pm
Don't leave until you get a place. Also make the landlord pay you big moving expenses. These landlords can't evict easily for this.

rising hero

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:
No... cuz he needs the house to build. Were amazing bout the rent.

OP, unless it was legal with the marshall and all, you weren't evicted. Your landlord can't kick you out from one day to the next. I think you shld change your thread title. People will respond differently if you were not 'evicted'!

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 2:45 pm
If you're paying your rent on time, the landlord can't evict you. He has to give you time to find a new apartment.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 2:57 pm
OP here, was a short term rental that stretched. Now he sent us an eviction notice Sad Sad
I need something desperately!!!!!!

SplitPea

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 3:08 pm
It takes 6 MONTHS to evict someone in NYC. And that's for non payment if rent! You can speak to a tenets rights lawyer for more info.

That said it was suppose to be short term I am assuming the landlord rented to yu as a favor while you were looking for other places to live and you overstayed your welcome? Knowing that it was suppose to be short term have you been looking daily/weekly for another place to live? Honestly you should know what's out there. You knew you had rented a place short term it's a bad place to put the landlord infl forcing him to let you stay.

Take care and good luck on findig another place for both your landlords sake and yours in hope you find one soon.

smilingmom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 3:09 pm
Without a lease, he can give you thirty days notice.
It is true if you do not leave, it will take him years to get you out, but why be a rasha? Try to find a place as soon as possible.
Hatzlacha.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
Don't leave until you get a place. Also make the landlord pay you big moving expenses. These landlords can't evict easily for this.

Ask around you could get around $100,000 or more.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 4:08 pm
Check out luach.com & avislist.com
I've found apartments there before.

Bhatzlacha!

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 4:36 pm
at least you have the monies to pay for a new lease ... consider it a brocha & start looking ...

Ashrei

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 7:59 pm
I'm sorry OP this must be stressful! I wish I knew a 4-5 bedroom apt - usually I only hear about 3br apartments. Maybe rent a house..? Torah Times and Jewish Press are good resource. May this be a blessing in disguise, that you find an even better place to live.

smilingmom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

What is the legal, halachic, or moral reason for extorting money from a landlord?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 9:31 pm
smilingmom wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

What is the legal, halachic, or moral reason for extorting money from a landlord?

Because the LL is removing housing stock from the market most of the time illegally. Rental apartments are controlled and tenants have rights which LLs illegally walk all over in an effort to maximize profits.

The reason LLs pay big money is because they can make big money.

STovah

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 10:06 pm
amother wrote:
smilingmom wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Because the LL is removing housing stock from the market most of the time illegally. Rental apartments are controlled and tenants have rights which LLs illegally walk all over in an effort to maximize profits.

I'm not a real estate attorney specializing in rent regulation in NYC, but I have no idea where you're getting your misinformation from. Not all rentals are regulated in NYC. Only buildings with 6 or more apartments are subject to rent regulation. I'm assuming the OP is renting an apt in a 2-4 family house on a month-to-month basis. If OP had a lease which was still in effect, the landlord would not easily be able to evict her.

And I've never heard of people in Boro Park / Flatbush getting $100K buyouts of their rent stabilized apartments - I've only seen this in buildings in Manhattan and other parts of Brooklyn.

smilingmom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 10:22 pm
amother wrote:
smilingmom wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

OP stated that he needs the apartment for personal use. Not to warehouse.
Assuming, a landlord asked someone with a rent controlled lease to leave, perhaps you have a point, but OP said that she did not have a lease and that the rental agreement was for a short term. She overstayed her welcome and has to leave. She is being a mensch about it, why do you want to instigate her to engage in rishus behavior.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 10:29 pm
op said it was a short term lease ... as such they need to leave and respect the lease for what it was ... move on - respectably
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics