Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Please HELP!!! We've been evicted!!
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 10:34 pm
STovah wrote:
amother wrote:
smilingmom wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
Don't leave until you get a place. Also make the landlord pay you big moving expenses. These landlords can't evict easily for this.

Ask around you could get around $100,000 or more.

What is the legal, halachic, or moral reason for extorting money from a landlord?

Because the LL is removing housing stock from the market most of the time illegally. Rental apartments are controlled and tenants have rights which LLs illegally walk all over in an effort to maximize profits.

The reason LLs pay big money is because they can make big money.

I'm not a real estate attorney specializing in rent regulation in NYC, but I have no idea where you're getting your misinformation from. Not all rentals are regulated in NYC. Only buildings with 6 or more apartments are subject to rent regulation. I'm assuming the OP is renting an apt in a 2-4 family house on a month-to-month basis. If OP had a lease which was still in effect, the landlord would not easily be able to evict her.

And I've never heard of people in Boro Park / Flatbush getting $100K buyouts of their rent stabilized apartments - I've only seen this in buildings in Manhattan and other parts of Brooklyn.

I know of a recent buyout of $120,000 in BP to evict the sole tenant in a building to build a shul. When the amount of profit is calculated including the increased value of the building plus the higher income stream without the tenants in it then it makes sense.

My info comes from investors in building. FYI there are big buyouts in the Bronx also. Many are under the table.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 10:51 pm
smilingmom wrote:
amother wrote:
smilingmom wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
Don't leave until you get a place. Also make the landlord pay you big moving expenses. These landlords can't evict easily for this.

What is the legal, halachic, or moral reason for extorting money from a landlord?

Because the LL is removing housing stock from the market most of the time illegally. Rental apartments are controlled and tenants have rights which LLs illegally walk all over in an effort to maximize profits.

OP stated that he needs the apartment for personal use. Not to warehouse.
Assuming, a landlord asked someone with a rent controlled lease to leave, perhaps you have a point, but OP said that she did not have a lease and that the rental agreement was for a short term. She overstayed her welcome and has to leave. She is being a mensch about it, why do you want to instigate her to engage in rishus behavior.

It is standard for the landlord to claim they want the apartment for personal use. I have seen this abused overt and over again by frum people. It may or may not be the truth.

OP has rights. She should not be suffering anxiety and facing this crises. You are confusing rent controlled with rent stabilized. Anyway with a lease or without a lease there are laws to protect her. Protecting jet family is not rishus behavior. It is an uneven playing field with the landlord convincing OP she had to leave. She is now invested with rights and she can use them how best to protect herself and her family.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 11:22 pm
STovah wrote:

I'm not a real estate attorney specializing in rent regulation in NYC, but I have no idea where you're getting your misinformation from. Not all rentals are regulated in NYC. Only buildings with 6 or more apartments are subject to rent regulation. I'm assuming the OP is renting an apt in a 2-4 family house on a month-to-month basis. If OP had a lease which was still in effect, the landlord would not easily be able to evict her.

And I've never heard of people in Boro Park / Flatbush getting $100K buyouts of their rent stabilized apartments - I've only seen this in buildings in Manhattan and other parts of Brooklyn.

I happen to be a landlord in Brooklyn. You are misinformed: buildings with four or more apartments are subject to rent regulations.

To find out what your rights are, and how to proceed, please go to tenant.net. They have a forum to help renters who are being treated poorly by their landlords. They will tell you whether or not your landlord has cause to evict you, and tell you how to handle the situation to your benefit.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 11:26 pm
amother wrote:
smilingmom wrote:
amother wrote:
smilingmom wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Assuming, a landlord asked someone with a rent controlled lease to leave, perhaps you have a point, but OP said that she did not have a lease and that the rental agreement was for a short term. She overstayed her welcome and has to leave. She is being a mensch about it, why do you want to instigate her to engage in rishus behavior.

It is standard for the landlord to claim they want the apartment for personal use. I have seen this abused overt and over again by frum people. It may or may not be the truth.

OP has rights. She should not be suffering anxiety and facing this crises. You are confusing rent controlled with rent stabilized. Anyway with a lease or without a lease there are laws to protect her. Protecting jet family is not rishus behavior. It is an uneven playing field with the landlord convincing OP she had to leave. She is now invested with rights and she can use them how best to protect herself and her family.

Did you read the OP?
She herself stated that it was a short-term rental and she extended it...
Why in the world is this an uneven playing field? She knew exactly what she's getting herself into and it seems like the LL was extra nice and allowed her to stay up until this point...
Why in the world does she have the right to make a fuss?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 4:36 am
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:
smilingmom wrote:
amother wrote:
smilingmom wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Did you read the OP?
Why in the world is this an uneven playing field? She knew exactly what she's getting herself into and it seems like the LL was extra nice and allowed her to stay up until this point...

If the housing unit is a rental and the LL is taking it off the market then that is less housing stock for everyone. The LL calling it a short term rental does but make it an evictable rental. I work for investors and I see what they do to renters. The tenant needs to do what is best for herself and her family.

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 7:39 am
amother wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:
smilingmom wrote:
amother wrote:
smilingmom wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Did you read the OP?

If the housing unit is a rental and the LL is taking it off the market then that is less housing stock for everyone. The LL calling it a short term rental does but make it an evictable rental. I work for investors and I see what they do to renters. The tenant needs to do what is best for herself and her family.

Wow.
Just wow.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 8:14 am
Cookies n Cream wrote:

Wow.
Just wow.[/quote]

Ok, as a landlord, again I will stress that the tenant, in NYC, has more rights than you can even imagine.

OP, go to tenant.net, find the forum. Half of the information you are getting here is opinion and not fact. Investigate your rights and act accordingly.

(Also, the getting someone out for your "own" use? Good luck with that. There was just a huge supreme court ruling giving tenant the right to stay in a private house. Assume nothing. Research and let us know what you find.)

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 8:18 am
amother wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:

Wow.
Just wow.

Ok, as a landlord, again I will stress that the tenant, in NYC, has more rights than you can even imagine.

OP, go to tenant.net, find the forum. Half of the information you are getting here is opinion and not fact. Investigate your rights and act accordingly.

(Also, the getting someone out for your "own" use? Good luck with that. There was just a huge supreme court ruling giving tenant the right to stay in a private house. Assume nothing. Research and let us know what you find.)[/quote]

you seem to be totally missing it.
This has nothing to do with rights.
I can't believe that you think it's totally mentchlich to take advantage of a landlord that did you a favor.
Life is not all about trying to get all you can from others just because the law may be on your side.
Mentchlichkeit is not something that can be taught at this stage of the game though, so if you're not getting it I'm not going to bother...

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 8:32 am
Cookies n Cream wrote:

I can't believe that you think it's totally mentchlich to take advantage of a landlord that did you a favor.
Life is not all about trying to get all you can from others just because the law may be on your side.
Mentchlichkeit is not something that can be taught at this stage of the game though, so if you're not getting it I'm not going to bother...

In NYC, all landlord/tenant issues are legal issues. A landlord cannot do you a favor unless it's "off the books." If the landlord didn't follow NYC laws, he needs to do so to make this situation correct.

Oh, I'm getting it. But we live in America, and leases in America have legal ramifications in the American courts.

I'm not telling her to get extra $$, or scam her landlord
. I'm telling her how to make sure she does not get thrown out on the streets.

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 8:42 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:

In NYC, all landlord/tenant issues are legal issues. A landlord cannot do you a favor unless it's "off the books." If the landlord didn't follow NYC laws, he needs to do so to make this situation correct.

Oh, I'm getting it. But we live in America, and leases in America have legal ramifications in the American courts.

I'm not telling her to get extra $$, or scam her landlord
. I'm telling her how to make sure she does not get thrown out on the streets.

I hear you.
Im talking to the poster who is suggesting the the OP should be sure to get $$$ . She specifically mentioned sums like $12, 000 and. $100, 000.
Besides I think it's strange to call the situation a crisis when the tenant knew it was coming....

STovah

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 9:30 am
amother wrote:
STovah wrote:

I happen to be a landlord in Brooklyn. You are misinformed: buildings with four or more apartments are subject to rent regulations.

OT here, but just curious about what rent regulations apply to four family homes (unless they were built before 1947 and tenant or predecessor was there since 1971)

amother

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 9:32 am
STovah wrote:

OT here, but just curious about what rent regulations apply to four family homes (unless they were built before 1947 and tenant or predecessor was there since 1971)

Rent stabilization.

STovah

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 9:53 am
amother wrote:
STovah wrote:

Rent stabilization.

I guess if you got a 421a or J-51, maybe, but in general rent stabilization applies to 6 or more.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 10:01 am
Ladies, cool down please! OP is not trying to resist leaving or to fight her landlord, she understands that she was only in a short term rental and has to leave, she is simply asking people on here if anyone knows of an apartment for her to move to.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 12:58 pm
OP here, I've been to court, hashed it out. I WANT to move!! I cant keep taking advantage!
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF AN APARTMENT???????
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics