Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
I hit DD....

amother

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 11:23 am
My 22 month old is BH a wonderful little girl. She really understands so many things and I can forget that she is really just a little kids. This morning I was 'sleeping' on the couch due to a not great night with the baby. DD was playing happily and came over to rub my back all of the sudden she bit me. It was so sharp and painful! I got so upset so fast I jumped up and smacked the side of her face and gave her a time out.
Generally when she bites, b/c she is going though this now, we give her a time out and talk to her. I was so shocked and upset at myself for hitting her. I grew up with a mother who hit out of anger not really discipline and I do not want to do that to my kids. I spoke to DD after and even apologized for hitting her and explained that it was wrong for me to do....I still feel so bad.

speciwoman

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 11:34 am
Forgive yourself but realize that perhaps this is your instinctual reaction, and you must consciously prevent yourself from doing it in the future. I am the same way with yelling. My mom yelled at us a lot, and I must consciously remind myself not to do the same.

supermama2

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 11:37 am
The fact that you went to her and apologized is of benefit. We are human and as such not perfect :-) I would not let my guilt prevent me from staying diligent in disciplining the children but it sounds that you have a good system set up for correcting your dd. Children respect a parent who is willing to admit mistakes.

Nicole

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 8:26 pm
I could have written your post, almost. A similar thing happened to me today, and I was so upset with myself. But b'h, we're able to be open and honest about it, and that is what helps us to work on what we have to work on.
If you want to to PM me, I wouldn't mind having a partner to work on this issue with and share ideas. I've been employing the tactic of leaving the scene of frustration for me for a few minutes, even if it means leaving the baby screaming his head off in the crib. I tell myself that it's better that he cry in the crib than for me to hit him out of anger. It's been pretty effective, b'h. Very Happy Wishing you luck. You're a wonderful mom, I'm sure of it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics