Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What's the proper approach?

proudmomma

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 4:23 pm
Hi! If you host someone in your house for sleeping and there is a Jack and jill bathroom between the guest room and kids room(there's another bathroom down the hall) do you allow your kids to use the bathroom? Do you ask them to use the one down the hall so that the guests have a private bathroom? As a guest would you feel uncomfortable knowing that someone can just walk in on you? What's the proper approach?

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 4:24 pm
proudmomma wrote:
Hi! If you host someone in your house for sleeping and there is a Jack and jill bathroom between the guest room and kids room(there's another bathroom down the hall) do you allow your kids to use the bathroom? Do you ask them to use the one down the hall so that the guests have a private bathroom? As a guest would you feel uncomfortable knowing that someone can just walk in on you? What's the proper approach?

As a guest, I would feel uncomfortable if the kids would come in and use the bathroom. I would ask my kids to use the other bathroom down the hall and make this an en suite bathroom for the guestroom while the guests are there.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 4:26 pm
If there's another bathroom down the hall, I'd have the kids use that. When we have guest, we try to designate one bathroom for the guests.

smss

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 4:30 pm
This is why I really don't like Jack & Jills...

I think the guests should have the ability to lock their door. And if there's another entrance through a bathroom, they should have the ability to lock that too. So I would have the kids use another bathroom. And tell the guests, feel free to keep the kids side locked, they won't be using it.

imasinger

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 4:31 pm
I'd lock the bathroom on the guest side, and ask guests to use bathroom down the hall, and have kids stick with routine. Cleaner for guests, easier all around.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 4:32 pm
Maybe I’m still resentful about all the times I had to give up my room for guests as a kid, but if the kids are old enough to care I would let them keep their bathroom and have guests use the hallway one.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 4:59 pm
I'd prefer designating seperate bathrooms.

But I think both approaches, of who gets the closer one, the kids or the guests, can be correct but very much depending on circumstances.

Like the age of your kids, like are they young enough or chesed minded enough in this particular way where could receive the chinuch to be inconvenienced for the guests, or or they a little older & more particular about their space, maybe they'd be a little resentful. It also dep on who the guests are, is it someone elderly or someone who could use a more easily accessible bathroom or deserving of extra kavod, or more of a peer instead.

proudmomma

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 5:23 pm
Thanks for your replies! I got some new perspective.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 5:49 pm
Definitely don’t have them share a bathroom. Who gets the one next to the bedroom and who gets the one down the hall depends on so many things, your kids, the guests, the layout of your house, that I’ll leave that part to you.

Simple1

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 5:53 pm
It might be nice to give the private bathroom if available but I’m surprised by those who think it’s a must have. Not all of us have extra bathrooms to designate for guests and we host anyways.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:39 am
Our policy has always been that guests get the best. We have a nice set of linens that's just for guests, I make nicer food, etc. because that's how you treat a guest. Therefore, the guests get the bathroom that's closer and the kids go down the hall. As a guest, and especially as an older person, I would be pretty miffed if the kids got the convenient bathroom and I had to wander down the hall, UNLESS the Jack and Jill was a churban and the one down the hall was the nice one. I don't see an issue with a J&J. What do you mean the children will walk in and there's a lack of privacy--surely both doors have locks?
That being said, we have no such luxury. We have one bathroom and everyone has to share. It hasn't stopped us from having guests, either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette